Ants in compost

Hi all,
I've got ants in my compost - is this something I should act on. Am a little concerned about the prospect of spreading ant larvae around my veg patch.
Cheers,
Lucretian

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:16:38 +0100, Lucretian

No need for concern unless these are fire ants. Turn the pile once a week and they will likely be gone within a month. I have a pile of leaf mold with a colony of ants in it and I used some the other day to mulch chives, and I did it bare-handed. One of my hands was covered in ants--weird feeling but they didn't sting. Ants are very clean creatures.

They'll die if removed from the protection of the colony.
Is the pile wet or dry? The latter is more to their liking.