Ants in abundance in compost

Group:
Live in Sunny (wet!) SoCal. This my first year composting. The compost is lookingreally good, but the only problem is that I have huge numbers of ants infesting the compost. Is this good or bad? If the latter, should I somehow treat the compost - with what?
Cheers
Den
Insects are good for the compost. They help break materials down and spread bacteria and spores. You compost pile may be too dry or not large enough? A good pile is at least one cubic yard, less than that the pile can decrease the decompostion rate. Turning the pile helps and will discourage ants. I use a D-handle pitch fork to turn the compost.

I had fireants in my compost pile last year.
I turned the pile and they went away.
Compost is too dry, turn and moisten it to be like a wet but not drippy sponge and the ants will seek other quarters.