Ants

I just added a little sample on carpenter ants.

Please review.

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

I just added a little sample on carpenter ants.

Please review.

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Might be missing one step from time of damage to ants moving in. The wood inside the barrier was altered but not from the injury itself but from the results of the injury. By allowing water to accumulate, then rot to set into the wood. There was probably a long period of time of moisture rot of the wood before the ants actually moved in, then they now clean out the rotted wood creating their galleries. The ants are beneficial to the trees. If your tree guy ever states the ants are killing your trees...find a new tree guy.

As far as ants moving into this area if it where used in construction, I would guess over 80% of all carpenter ant jobs I do on homes has nothing to do with wood at all, just a hollow area that holds warmth. The ones I do find in wood the vast majority of time it is hollow cored doors or behind crown molding, once again not important the wood, but just a hollow area to nest. So if ants did find such wood in a structure they may nest in it but usually there will be countless other areas they find more suited.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Yes - Ants control the moisture content. Too moist or too dry stalls the decay pathogen. In this sense the ants help the tree.

Reply to
symplastless

So very true -- I've yet to hear a report of carpenter ants in any wood/substance that is not soft/spongy/or otherwise degraded. I can't stress enough how they are only a secondary problem, indicating the original condition -- the degraded wood. And I might also mention, the c. ants do not eat wood, they only make they galleries/tunnels in it, same as the more familiar ground-nesting fellas.

SoozieCue

Lar wrote:

Reply to
SoozieCue