Another Way To Handle Tree Stumps?

Page 1 of 3
Pneumatic drill?
Jack
Sure, but why?
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:16:19 -0400, "Mike LaMana"

Mowing around stumpers adds an extra hour to the mowing chore.
Jack ______________

said...

What do you mow with? Fingernail clippers?

Cub Cadet.
Jack
Why not blast them out?
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Caterpillar D11R.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Trackhoe

My old man's method. Enough dynamite to render it into splinters. No kidding. When he blew a stump there was nothing left to pick up.
Harry K
On 6/8/04 6:57 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "Harry K"

compost technology! :) Gary Fort Langley BC Canada
Leave them tall enough to install a nice top and use as a picnic table.

snipped-for-privacy@home.net (BroJack) wrote:

Wouldn't do any different than an electric drill. Except maybe work under water.
How about the classic Skill saw, with a cheap carbide tipped blade? That will cut thru most anything, with the right blade. A low tooth count, if you have a choice.
Otherwise, as Jimmie Walker used to say (not in this context) Dyno-Mite!!

I'm talking about a jackhammer that they use to tear up streets.
Jack
Since we're on this topic, I cut down 4 old fruit trees that were sick. All had roots near the surface from lack of proper watering over the years. (I live in So. Cal) I drilled a few holes in the stumps, put in stump poison, and let them sit a few weeks. I then rented a stump grinder and ground them out.
The problem now are shoots coming up everywhere from roots still under the surface out within 6-12 feet of the old stumps. Will these eventually diminish and die out? I pull them regularly.
--
To reply by email, replace the word "space" with "renault"

Consider covering them with a dense mulch like news papers etc. Then be ruthless with any that can make it thru..
Bill
--
Garden in Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
William(Bill)

I had the same problem with hybrid poplars, but if you keep pulling and mowing, the roots won't receive nourishment from the leaves and eventually die. It's a pain for a while but you have to be a little persistent.
Jack
snipped-for-privacy@windswept.org (Bro Jack) wrote:

Thanks all, this is what I've been told from a couple folks.
--
To reply by email, replace the word "space" with "renault"

You don't even have to pull them, unless you're running around there barefoot. Just mow right over them and they'll stop in a couple years.

shoots.
On 6/23/04 12:48 PM, in article S7lCc.96569$Sw.17518@attbi_s51, "rj"

the drinking waters. Gary Fort Langley BC Canada