Another Question on Peroxide

I've seen the adds for peroxide for spraying on plants. Question I have is does anyone here do this? If someone does I would be interested in how and what type of peroxide they use. The add I saw was for 3 percent which is what you can get at the grocery store or pharmacy for medical use. I would think it would be similar to spraying your plants with bleach but if it will kill mealies I'll try it on my portulaca that has the monster mealies in it.
Shell
Don't waste your money on peroxide.
Use an actual insecticide to get rid of the mealies.

is
and
would
will
it.
Thanks. Any suggestions on insecticide? I've tried sevin dust, insecticidal soap, alcohol, and a generic insecticide. Nothing kills these little pests
Shell

is

Imadicloprid. Sometimes incorrectly spelled Imadocloprid.
Do a search for Imadicloprid + Pacific Bulb Society for recent discussions regarding this insecticide and mealies.
You have a bad habit of posting the wrong subject line.
Your question is actually about controlling mealy bugs not peroxide.
Spray with a liquid insecticide.
You will need to spray more than once because mealies hatch out over a long period of time.
Understand their life cycle and you will be able to get rid of them.
http://www.hortnet.co.nz/publications/hortfacts/hf401032.htm
http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/Mealy.htm
You may want to do a google search for the may websites on mealy bugs.

have
how
it
in
When the ancient war dogs did battle on Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:09:41 GMT,
of wisdom:

People who grow orchids use hydrogen peroxide often. It's a good general disinfectant to use when a plant has a bacterial problem such as crown rot. You just water once with the peroxide (regular stuff from the pharmacy) making sure to drench the problem area, and then keep the plant on the dry side so it can recover. Cinnamon sprinkled into the crown of a plant or on any cut surfaces is also very good. It helps to seal the wound and has some antibiotic properties to it. I've heard that cinnamon applied over the surface of the media helps to discourage fungus gnats. But I've never used it for this purpose.
I've never heard of peroxide being good to use as an insecticide. You CAN use regular rubbing alcohol for that however. Just spray it on or saturate a Q-tip or wad of cotton and apply to the leaves. This will kill mealies and scale but has rather limited use if a plant is completely infested. But for spot tx, it's pretty useful. HTH...
* * * * * Karen C. Southern CT / USDA Zone 6 Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...
"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Thanks for the information. I also grow orchids and I knew about the cinnamon but I didn't know about the peroxide. I will have to try it on a problem Masdavilla I am trying to save
Shell
did speak the following bit

I have a lot of farmer customers here in florida that use peroxide occasionally to reduce mold mildew and fungus on plants. they recommend using it at 1000ppms. Peroxide works excellent for root development. oxyginates the soil.
Joe

is
and
would
will
it.
Thanks :) Even more hope for the Masdavila. Along with the other orchids I have and the other houseplants
Shell

is