Another Lawnmower starting question....

Attempted to remove the blade for sharpening but could not. So I attempted to sharpen the blade without removing it (it's OK, I still have all my digits...) Trouble is, when I try to start, the started cord won't pull--at all. I did turn the blade a few times while sharpening but can seem to get the cord to pull at all--any suggestions?
Stub1 wrote:

Sounds as though something is blocking the blade when the mower is upright. When my mower blade is blocked, it will turn a few times under manual force but won't turn easily. The movement will be quite stiff. When free, the blade seems to move by itself. Turn your mower over again (please pull the cap off the spark plug first!), and give it a few more turns and see if you can free it.
It could also be an off balance blade, but more likely a blocked one.
Stub1 wrote:

Take the spark plug out in case the cylinder became flooded somehow and is 'hydro-locked'.
Make sure any safety clutch cable is working well.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Andy replies:
Carl's suggestion is a good one. A cylinder can be hydrolocked from any liquid that gets into it and fills it. Usually that is OIL. Taking out the plug and pulling it thru a couple times fixes this, or at least identifies the problem....
However, if the blade turns, the system is not hydrolocked, UNLESS the blade is turned by a belt, and the belt is slipping...... In a simple little rotary mower, there is no belt....hence, no hydrolock...
Andy in Eureka, Texas

The most obvious thing to check is to make sure you are turning it the proper direction - is it left hand or right hand thread?
And use a big enough, proper sized wrench. Hint - Most of the nuts are locking - they don't "spin" off unless they are worn. DO NOT use a split washer and ordianry in place of the factory lock nut.
So I

You can't sharpen a blade mounted on the mower without some probability of engine damage- because the blade spins, it needs to be balanced after sharpening so it doesn't "get heavy" on one side due to centrfugal force and wear out the motor bearings in short order.
Trouble is, when I try to start, the started

If you hung it up over the winter, or if you tipped it too far off level when sharpening it, chances are the oil/gas has filled the cylinder and it is locked up. (Or you blocked the blade for shrapening and left the block on...)
DO NOT TRY TO START IT - PULL OFF THE PLUG WIRE UNTIL THE CYLINDER IS CLEARED SO NOTHING BAD CAN HAPPEN
Pull the plug and pull the drain out the oil/gasoline, then pull the starter to check that the engine is turning; then clean the plug (don't touch the ceramic with your hands- the white part that goes into the cylinder) with gasoline or alcohol.
I did turn the blade a few times while

It sounds like oil/gas filled the cylinder -