Another groung hog

Being such a voracious eater, this one was caught 45 minutes after setting the trap this morning;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/136464431/original
BTW, they aren't all that "dumb", we had one here sometime back that would literally perch beside the trap even when filled with bait. After two 'possums, two skunks and countless squirrels, over a period of years, we gave up trying to catch it.
wrote in message
Being such a voracious eater, this one was caught 45 minutes after setting the trap this morning;
http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/136464431/original
BTW, they aren't all that "dumb", we had one here sometime back that would literally perch beside the trap even when filled with bait. After two 'possums, two skunks and countless squirrels, over a period of years, we gave up trying to catch it. ==== How'd he get injured? Are you relocating him?
I (well, my family) once had a lab who'd catch them & give 'em just one or two thrashes in his jaws. Instant death. And I think that was about the only thing that dog was ever good for. Here in WI, we don't see groundhogs. They all seem to be replaced by 13-lined ground squirrels. Cuter, and so far as I've seen over the years, much less destructive.

Have no idea.

Released it by a river a couple of miles away from here the same day....The usual spot.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 05:33:50 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

That is a procedure we, too, follow, although the dump off spot is to 4-5 miles away. I am sure we have contributed to improving the groundhog gene pool in this part of NJ.
Boron

Mine are transported (with the property owner's permission) to an industrial area near the wooded banks of a river.
Boron

Oh...the other choice is to kill it on my property.
On 7/16/2011 12:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Nice pic. In my experience, peanut butter is a universal bait. Also best to close trap at night to avoid catching skunks.

Agreed!