another compost question

Can I compost the stuff that my vacumm picks up. Mainly dog hair and dirt?
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:35:06 -0700, "Mogie"

I tried this years ago and it did not work for me. It turned out to be a total mess, caused a sneezing fit, and the nylon carpet fibers do not compost well. I put human hair directly into my shade garden to help ward off the deer, and I believe it is working (my neighbor's impatiens are all eaten and mine have not been touched.) Your vacuum waste might work better than mine, particularly if there is no nylon/polyester fibers in it.
Mogie wrote:

Hair doesn't compost very well; put the vacuum bag in the trash.
Chris Owens
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:56:30 -0400, Chris Owens

Really? A book I have says it is a good source of nitrogen.
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 03:15:25 GMT, Paul Below

Composting isn't rocket science. Stuff rots. There's plenty of information on the web and elsewhere for hot, cold, organized, lazy, fast and slow composting, as well as "recipes" for ingredients. Seems to me this is pretty much a matter of individual choice. No matter what 'ingredient' is mentioned, there will be 'for' and 'against' opinions. There are those who dump *everything* into the pile or bin, and those who use a recipe. All claim success. I wouldn't *think* of throwing veg trimmings into the trash, but that's where the vacuum cleaner dust goes. Satirical aside: many caution against composting grass clippings that may have been contaminated by weed-killers, but what about *hair* treatments? Bleach, dye, oil, gell, spray -- I'll bet our hair is a lot more toxic than our grass. :-)