another compost question

I tried this years ago and it did not work for me. It turned out to be a total mess, caused a sneezing fit, and the nylon carpet fibers do not compost well. I put human hair directly into my shade garden to help ward off the deer, and I believe it is working (my neighbor's impatiens are all eaten and mine have not been touched.) Your vacuum waste might work better than mine, particularly if there is no nylon/polyester fibers in it.

Reply to
Phisherman

Can I compost the stuff that my vacumm picks up. Mainly dog hair and dirt?

Reply to
Mogie

Hair doesn't compost very well; put the vacuum bag in the trash.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

Really? A book I have says it is a good source of nitrogen.

Reply to
Paul Below

Composting isn't rocket science. Stuff rots. There's plenty of information on the web and elsewhere for hot, cold, organized, lazy, fast and slow composting, as well as "recipes" for ingredients. Seems to me this is pretty much a matter of individual choice. No matter what 'ingredient' is mentioned, there will be 'for' and 'against' opinions. There are those who dump *everything* into the pile or bin, and those who use a recipe. All claim success. I wouldn't *think* of throwing veg trimmings into the trash, but that's where the vacuum cleaner dust goes. Satirical aside: many caution against composting grass clippings that may have been contaminated by weed-killers, but what about *hair* treatments? Bleach, dye, oil, gell, spray -- I'll bet our hair is a lot more toxic than our grass. :-)

Reply to
Frogleg