Another Bee Bites the Dust

Page 2 of 2

Does "yellowjacket" mean "wasp"?

Not to me, I think of paperwasps as wasps. Technically yellowjackets may be wasps, but I dislike them more (the yellowjackets). I got stung way too many times while I worked in the woods, two or three times a week I'd kick up a ground nest.
Peter wrote:

Yellow jackets are a type of wasp, but wasps generically are referred to the paper wasps, which build the inverted umbrella shaped nest under the eaves and may contain a few dozen wasps where as the true yellow jacket nest is usually in the ground or a hollow area in a tree or structure and can contain hundreds of wasps. Another type of yellow jacket is the bald faced hornet which is not a hornet at all, but it's nest is the same construction as other yellow jacket nests except they may be out in the open (the football shaped nest hanging on a limb).
Lar

it's a type of wasp lee

Believe it or not, I've seen honeybees go for diet coke cans! Yes, they do visit soda cans, but not as much as yellowjackets do.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I was imagining getting stung in the throat. I'm not allergic, but I do swell from stings, it can make breathing difficult.

Addendum. I had turned the Coke can upside down, but it tipped and the Coke ran out. I checked later and the bee was not in the can, nor was it on the ground. So it may have tasted the dust, but it didn't bite it, which is good, we need bees. Just not in my drink.