Another Bee Bites the Dust

Page 1 of 2
I have a pond, so they can get water there if they're thirsty. there are flowers all around, so they can get nectar.
this one insisted on drinking from my Coke can.
glad I heard her before I drank her.

All that chemical soup... perhaps it was trying to commit suicide?
As Willy Shake wrote..
"To bee or not to bee?"

then it wasn't a BEE, it was a yellowjacket. it's not that hard to tell the difference, since they don't look at all alike. lee
On 8/27/07 7:48 AM, in article Xns99994F7794571enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Hee Lee, how's your summer been?
Actually, I've had mason and bumble bees investigate sweet drinks. Not often, but it has happened at least twice. It was sweet mint tea, not a cola... C

busy. i bought a place in upstate NY, mostly for summer use by the SO's family. it has a nice veggie garden spot ;) oh, and black currents! i was really surprised & delighted to find them. i need to redo my upper garden. i think it'll be an herb garden, but with a lilac because i'm not moving the poor thing *again*. how's your summer?

late August is when the yellowjackets go into overdrive trying to store sweets & protein for winter (even though they don't winter over well in New England). while the masons & bumbles might investigate, those yellowjackets are staking a claim & they love sodapop. it's good for baiting wasp traps this time of year (whereas something stinky, like catfood, works better in early summer) lee
On 8/27/07 9:49 PM, in article Xns9999DDF16C1A0enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Sounds nice!

Need chives! LOL

Long form or short form Short form - summer from hell. DS broke his leg, needed surgery (3 screws stay put, one comes out in a month). I cut my left index finger, needed nine stitches, still having issues with the scar.

I hate yellow jackets. They are just nasty to be nasty.
Cheryl
wrote: >> busy. i bought a place in upstate NY, mostly for summer

the ban on black currents was recently (3 years ago i think) repealed in NY. i was surprised to find them growing wild. i'm going to try starting some from seed. if they grow i'll probably take them back to NY though. NH isn't so enlightened about currents yet. i'm a big fan of currents, black or red (i've not seen white ones yet)

hah! chives are a weed (or is that a groundcover... <g>). Boo is really into herbs & gardening. he was totally smitten by the herballist at the Renaissance faire. he was spending all his allowance on herb plants & dried herbs and wanted to spend all day hanging out at her booth.

index finger cuts suck! have you tried putting vitamin E oil on the scar tissue? how did your son break his leg? that sounds like a pretty bad green stick break!

yup. especially in August. i had an arborial nest under the porch on year. i thought it was paper wasps so i left it alone... until August when they started stinging me when i was hanging laundry 10 or more feet away from the nest. my skunk is missing this year so i expect we'll be finding huge ground nests soon. he was 5 years old so i guess he died of old age. he used to hang out in the chicken barn & eat with the barn cats. he did a great job eating yellowjacket nests. lee
On 8/28/07 12:25 PM, in article
wrote:

I love currents. Interestingly, the "ornamental" ones are just fine

It was no green stick - remember he's 15 and 6 feet. It was a "spiral" fracture

Ah a good reason for skunks

In case anyone is interested, unseasoned meat tenderizer, applied as soon as possible to the stung area - which you liberally moisten with water first - takes away pain and digests the venom. I've used this remedy on my family for 40 years, but I never was stung by a wasp till just this week. I ran in the house, wet my hand, sprinkled on the meat tenderizer which has sat in mu cupboard most of my married life, and in just a few minutes, the searing pain left and my hand was neither swelled nor red. Deb
On 8/28/07 3:50 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com, "thistletoes"
snip

I've used baking soda with equal success. Both are in the hiking emergency kit.

If there is plantain around (the weed, not the banana <G>), chew up a leaf and apply it to the sting. Beeks all over have recommended this method. I haven't been stung recently, so I haven't tried it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

The underside is for drawing and the top side is for healing. Plantain likes to grow on my driveway.
We have used it under regular band aids for a long time.
Just a suggestion......Swedish lore.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

hey y'all,
tobacco &/or tobacco juice works in that department as well.....
rae

So does raw onion.
Seahag
raeannsimpson wrote:

Heh...many will stay clear of anything chemical around gardens for fear of "cancer", even if developed and tested for such use, but have no issues strapping a known carcinogen on a wound. :)
Lar
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:08:55 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

I use nothing, wait 30-60 minutes and it is virtually gone. Can't find any clue that I was stung the next day. I've been stung many times by most everything except Scorpions (none in this area).
This reminds me of Granny Clampett's cure for the common cold. It was some horrible concoction she would brew up and feed you. In a week to 10 days your cold would be cured. Worked every time! (grin)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Lucky you. I got stung by a teeny little sweat bee this spring and ended up on steroids for an arm that was swollen from wrist to armpit and half- way 'round the circumferance -- and still swelling three days later.
I used Plantain in it immediately and although it helped with the sting, it did nothing to stop the reaction. Well... wait... I *hope* that was an unstopped reaction or I'd hate to see a full-blown one.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:34:04 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Bummer...
I don't know if it is lucky or not. It still hurts like the begeezers for a few seconds. Really annoying when the culprit gets away too, before I can squash it.
I know that it is no trivial matter for some people. I didn't mean to be flippant. I have my doubts though that the home remedies mentioned are of much help for a reaction like you are getting...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
enigma wrote:

honey bees visit soda cans as often as yellow jackets...and it can be hard for some to tell the difference since I get plenty of calls for one and it ends up being the other.
Lar

I know the difference, I've tangled with yellowjackets way too many times.