angel trumpet leaves curling

I have an angel trumpet in a large pot. It is 3-4 feet tall and I have had it a few months. The leaves were quite large but now they seem to be cupping under. Kind of like you would cup your hand around something. Even the new leaves have this odd look. What does this mean? I keep the soil evenly moist. I live in Houston and it gets afternoon sun but there are some branches from other plants that overhang a bit. Should I feed more or less? I have emailed the person I bought it from but haven't heard back yet.

Do you know what you mean by "angel trumpets?" Are the flowers upright or hanging down?
I can tell you that if you have datura or brugmansia it is normal for them to wilt in the hot afternoon and they do not do well in full sun here in TX at this elevation. Their native place is in the Andes mountain range where it is moist and cool at night. We get very little relief in TX at night.
Do NOT over water it thinking the problem is to water it too much. The other thing it could be is not enough water. In containers these plants, when grown in TX need to be watered daily in mid-morning. Sometimes if the container is small, they need two waterings. Again, wilting is normal. They do this to conserve water.

I think its real name is brugmansia. The flowers are double and they hang down. I don't think it is wilting because the new leaves have that same cupped shape. I wish I could take a picture but I can't. The pot is big. Would it help if I moved it to the shade? This has happened within the last 2 weeks, at first the leaves were very large. I just know I am killing it in some way.

You probably have Brugmansia x candida 'Double White.'
I have two of those and both are very prone to spider mites. Without seeing the plant I cannot help you determine the problem. They are heavy feeders and I fertilize mine every two weeks. I also put a strong spray of water under the foliage daily to wash off spider mites. Regardless what they say in books, Brugs do not like heat. Not the heat we have in Texas. One of my Brugmansia spp is blooming right now. Maybe tomorrow I'll put some photo's on my silly blog.
Check for little webs between the stunted leaves and if you see those, you have spider mites.
Brugmansia, Datura also known as Angels Trumpets will show signs of leaf curl if they are in full sun they prefer partial sun, they also need regular feeding to prevent yellowing of the leaves and to promote the growth of the huge flowers they produce. Ensure also that the plants pot is large enough as the root growth on these plants is amazing, best of luch.
If you need any more help e mail on our enquires at www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk
kathryn'Jangchub[_2_ Wrote:

--
Kathryn Selfe

Brugmansia and Datura are two different plants altogether, taxonomically speaking. Brugs are Angel trumpets, Datura are Devil's trumpets. Common names are idiotic. Cupping has nothing to do with fertilization and yellowing foliage is normal as it self-limbs. They can grow and produce in a three gallon pot as long as they have adequate water. One wind and they'll tip over, but still can survive just the same. I have 30 of these plants in tubs.
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:48:52 +0100, Kathryn Selfe

This plant is important to me and I am determined that it not die. We don't have a nursery close so I am going to snip a couple of leaves and take them to Ace Hardware and get help. It would be better to have a real plant place but my choices are Home Depot or Ace. I dusted it with Ortho rose and floral dust, scratched in some ironite and moved it a little back under a tree fern leaf. I am hoping that someone there can look at the leaves and say 'yes, you need to do this and everything will be fine'. I don't have a 'green thumb' at all but I really would like this plant to survive my care.

You were given advice, but you did what you wanted anyway so if the plant dies, oh well. Nobody told you to dust with Ortho rose and floral dust and certainly nobody told you to ad ironite, which has toxic levels of arsenic in it. I've been growing these plants for decades. Don't ask a question and then go do whatever you want anyway. Don't waste my time. Take it to Ace Hardware. Don't take time to use the biggest library on earth, the Internet.

I am sorry to have offended anyone. I was just trying really hard to gather as much advice as possible. I have searched the Internet and I guess my computer skills match my plant growing skills because I couldn't find anything that exactly matched my problem so I made a judgment call, possibly wrong. The dusting was in case there were bugs I couldn't see, there were no webs, the ironite was in case I had overwatered and stressed the plant and I also tried to get it out of the sun as much as I could. I reasoned that the 'cupping' could mean that the leaf veins are not supporting the leaf causing it to collapse. Again I am sorry to offended anyone in anyway.

You didn't offend me. You offended the way nature works by poisoning without the slightest bit of knowledge of what or why you wanted to kill this mystery thing, insect, mite, using some broad, carcinogen. It's probably not listed for use on spider mites anyway. A good way to kill plant is to use poisons improperly. If you read the label you'd know you should first identify the problem. I gave you a reasonable answer by telling you to spray the undersides of the foliage with forceful water. That's all you needed to do for "potential" spider mites. They are most likely the only animal you'd not be able to see with the naked eye without a 10x eye loop.
Then you put Ironite in the container. What was that for? I'm not offended, you wasted my time because while i gave you methods you did what you wanted to do anyway. Why ask, is my point.

I am glad you weren't offended. I did get hands on help and there were no spider mites, as I suspected. As you know it is very hot in Tx. and I took someone's advice and moved the plant to a more filtered location. You have been a big help and I am sorry I provoked you to be rude as I am sure you are usually a very helpful person whose time should never be wasted. As I stated my, goal was to save the plant and I think I did. Thanks again for all the helpful impute.