,,,and the rains came...

Page 1 of 6
Finally a real storm in Southern California -- thank whatever gods may be!
Dragged empty trash can to front porch where it will fill up quickly.
Garden is always is visibly relieved to "drink" pure sky water by contrast with imported, treated water.
Not that I'm knocking treated water. Without it, this would be a desert. And may be again if we don't get enough precipitation to end the drought.
Just a thought: With all that Pacific Ocean out there just off-shore, why not scale up successful Israeli desalination technology via a Manhattan Project-sized program.
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

Cost in money and greenhouse gases would be the obvious answer, not that the later seems to bother too many.
On Friday, February 28, 2014 1:00:27 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:

the

Uh, let's look at those factors:
Cost: If Nature (or global warming) continues to dry us up out here on the West Coast of the U.S. how else are we going to get water for nearly 40,00 0,000 in California alone, not counting other affected states like Arizona & New Mexico. Thirty years since James Hansen told Congress exactly what w ould happen and when, it is coming true as predicted. Even the most corrup t legislator will be forced to listen to their constituents rather than con tinuing their long, well-emunerated love affair with Big Oil, Big Coal, and other constituents of global warming.
Greenhouse gases: Not sure I see the relevance, but have a look at what's been happening in the Middle East. As always, Israel has been a forward-th inking leader. When you're a tiny blip on the map, surrounded by neighbors that have been trying to kill you long before you officially became a coun try, you HAVE to devote resources to survival. One of many Web sites devot ed to Israeli irrigation, water usage, and desalination:
http://www.eenews.net/stories/1059994202
This research has long been shared with Big Brother, aka the U.S. but until recent years, the full effect of global warming has not been felt by the a verage US person, who is focussed more on the next electronic toy than on t he price/supply of water.
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

The relevance is that RO is very energy intensive and unless you source your power from non-fossil sources you will be compounding the problem.

Here is an alternative: http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/13724437/100m-to-make-sewage-drinkable/
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
Me thinks I will drink bottled water.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote:

What a ridiculous reaction.

Seems they have their first customer!
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Those plastic bottles are a hazard.
What makes you think that bottled water wasn't sewage a little while ago?
There's very little new water being made on this planet.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

Every drop of water has been recycled through many processes and systems over the eons. The drink in front of you probably contains some water that was in a dinosaur, some that was a grub and some that was urine or faeces of other creatures. Shortening the cycle so that we can re-use water quicker and cheaper often promotes this gut reaction of revulsion as a first response, which is understandable. The fact that so many never get beyond the gut reaction and begin to think about it is not so understandable.
I seem to recall that the troglodytes prevailed despite a public education campaign and this scheme never went into production.
On 2/28/2014 6:45 PM, Todd wrote:

In the community where I live and adjacent communities, parks, golf courses, school playgrounds, and greenbelts are irrigated with "reclaimed" water. The water is the output of our local sewage plant. Even though some of the irrigation systems spray the reclaimed water into the air, it is still considered safe for human contact.
In Los Angeles, the Japanese Garden in the Sepulveda Basin is irrigated by the output of the Tillman Water Reclamation Plant (a sewage plant). Actually, the garden is over-watered. The excess seeps into the aquifer that underlies the Los Angeles River. While the river itself is often little more than a trickle, the underlying aquifer supplies about 10% of the city's drinking water. Given what residents of the city dump into the streets, the reclaimed water is likely better than the river flow. After a rain storm, swimmers and surfers are warned to stay out of the ocean near the river's mouth and near the mouths of other water courses along the coast.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Every drop of water on this planet is the same as was here at its creation, not a drop more or less... your bottled water is the same water the dinosaurs pissed.
On 03/01/2014 06:33 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Hi Brooklyn1,
Not a real good argument. Her is why I say so:
I work for a pump company, meaning wells. There are rules as to how deep you well need to go so you don't pick up harmful bacteria from surface water, including dog poop from our lawns.
That is why a deep well with water from aquifer with centuries old water in it is so pure.
I am much more confident of mother natures cleaning mechanism than mans. I will drink the deep aquifer water flowing out of Lake Tahoe centuries ago. You can drink the reclaimed toilet water with all the pharmaceuticals in it.
Our water here tastes better than any bottled water I have ever come across. And yes, it may have been dino piss at one time, but it has spent millions of years percolating through the ground being cleaned up by mother nature.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Methinks you had best stick to pumping, reading comprehension is not your forte.
On 03/02/2014 07:27 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Uh oh. What did I miss?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 3/2/2014 10:27 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Depends how much dinosaur piss you can tolerate. Anyone familiar with Avogadro's number would know there had to be at least one molecule in every glass of water.
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 09:46:38 -0500, Frank

Moron doesn't know water purifys via the evaporative process... do you really think if you piss on the ground it stays there forever... moron.
Todd wrote:

So you don't trust science but only what is "natural", this is just another way of expressing the same emotional reaction as eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww.
You ignore the fact that getting good water out of deep aquifers is relatively uncommon worldwide, the majority of domestic supply is from surface water. Cattle shit in the river at my place which is the source of town water 15km downstream. You ignore the cases (say in Europe) where so many people in different countries use the big rivers for so many purposes they are effectively sewers and yet those downstream must drink it as there is nothing else.
Recycled water is treated and quality tested before going into the system the same as any other. Water engineers and microbiologists have been doing this for a long time it isn't some new untried procedure. It is little wonder governments cannot make sensible decisions when so many of their constituents hold these irrational views. If it is any comfort you are probably in the majority.

Look up the history typhoid
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote:

Why? Please point out the relevance.

Hi David,
Typhoid was caused by toilet water. When this was discovered, clean water became all the range and stopped the disease.
Yes, I would not made a good settler on the moon or Mars. I am not a vegetarian for one thing.
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped