And some people say there's no God..........

Page 4 of 7
Robibnikoff skrev:

Not to mention the fact that I did not insult him, and I was answering a post in which he distorted what I had written. So many start out with a pose of being reasonable and tolerant, but they fall apart so quickly.

The 8 fold path to getting in a tizz?

Calling a fairy tale a "fairy tale" is in no way offensive. These religious mind infections generate that reaction in their hosts in order that they can propogate successfully. The belief has manipulated your mind to generate this entirely false reaction to the reality of your condition.
Jangchub skrev:

I have agreed with you that you have a right to believe what you want, and you call me a fanatic. You also ignore what was the main point of my above quoted post. Here it is again: You have presented your beliefs in a public forum. I have every right to comment on those beliefs. I have not insulted you, in my opinion beliefs in the supernatural or magical are (without objective evidence, which I have never seen; and you have conceded does not exist) the same as beliefs in fairy tales. Please remember that many of the events related in fairy tales have also once been common beliefs. In any event your beliefs are not above criticism, and criticizing them does not make me a fanatic.

It could be because: they ARE superstitious! Believing something that you know ain't so, is the acme of superstition. Trusting an effect that has failed all tests since recorded history, IS SUPERSTITION!
I am not sure why anyone would possibly think otherwise, unless they have been so effectively brainwashed to exclude certain select categories of superstitions from the definition.
Chirstians think that native animist beliefs are superstitious (but Christianity is not), and the natives think that Christianity is superstitious, (but their beliefs are not)!!!
It is quite laughable, when seen from the outside.

Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

The universe is so complex, I would guess the gods' brains are so tiny as to be completely nonexistent.
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:18:00 -0400, "Samuel W. Heywood"

That's nothing. Water can create mighty valleys, waterfalls and deltas. It is around us, it penetrates us and binds the galaxy together. Let the force be with you. Live long and.. oops sorry wrong one.
When 'cool' water can make beautiful icicles and mighty glaciers.
When 'hot' it can disappear and just 'float away into clouds'. Now that's real cool man.
Wonderfully creative yer water is. Yet not one single brain cell anywhere.
This post was inspired by a thunderstorm that is fast approaching as I type. It sounds quite agitated too.
Les Hellawell Greetings from YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County
Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

By the same reasoning, water molecules must be superbly intelligent designers, since they arrange themselves into snowflakes.
Design, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

OK, please continue. You had a point to make? What you've written so far describes something I see variations of all the time at my rural home. Beautiful, interesting, and natural but not magic or supernatural. So, how *exactly* do you get a god, whatever that is, from a spider and it's web? Offer something other than warm, fuzzy prose. I like that stuff and it has it's place, but not as proof of what you suggest it proves. Rob Brown

I looked up into the sky and saw a nice cloud.
And some people say there is no Osiris.
-- rb #2187

All I note, which is also the REALITY of the thing, evidence of a spider and a web. Obvioiusly this spider, "with a brain maybe the size of a grain of sand" has one over on you!
Once upon a time in alt.atheism, dear sweet ZenIsWhen ( snipped-for-privacy@MYOB.com) made the light shine upon us with this:

They certainly have one over on my daughter. A tiny little spider can make her scream her lungs out. I tried to explain, out of the many thousands of species of spider, only two are poisonous and one of those cannot tolerate the climate where we live. Didn't help.
--
Uncle Vic
aa Atheist #2011

It's not hard to gain a mental edge over the standard Christian. I am not surprised that a tiny spider managed it.

sand,
oh don't be so hard on yourself - I'm sure your brain is bigger than that
A few months ago, I was taking a train uptown to see my friend. The train slowed down as it approached the first stop and stopped halfway into the station. Another train was stationary on the down track short of the end of the platform.
Eventually we pulled fully into the station and passengers were able to embark/disembark. The train left the station, but soon after, it stopped in a tunnel for 15 minutes. The current had been turned off, the driver explained, because of an 'incident' at the previous station.
Later it transpired that the down train had had a 'jumper'. Well, a sitter, in fact. He'd climbed down just before the train pulled in and sat on the track far too late for the inevitable to be prevented. The current on the down line had to be turned off for 4 hours while tranport police looked for the sitter's head, which a fox had ran off with.
In article <1155836539.036156.36400

What ever happened to "finders keepers"?
--
Brian E. Clark

Was there a companion video demonstrating the cucumber's design and fit in relation to girls? What a clever old perv that "creator" is!

Don't worry: it's "coming".

My dad, who is a chemical engineer, had a hard time believing in God. Then he started studying quantum physics, and other complex sciences (he has a PhD). He has turned extremely religious. Claims there is no way that 'accidents' created the things that he studies - especially things on atomic levels. As a matter of fact, this is not so uncommon amongst scientists. They somehow get a lot more religious the deeper in science they get. Very interesting stuff.