Amonium Nitrate application rate (???)

Hello to all. I live in North Florida and have a 3 acre yard. A mixed variety of grasses from Floratam to burmuda to Bahaiha (sp).

I would like to green it up a bit without going broke and ammonium nitrate was recommended to me. Analysis is 34-0-0.

I located and bought some today but there was no application instructions on the bag. I ask the young man helping load it how much to use and he didnt know.

Regular fertilizer, say...10-10-10 goes on at about a pound per 100 square feet (10'x10') or 10 lbs. per 1000 square feet as I understand the label directions.

It seems a little bit of this stuff (amonium nitrate) goes a long way. Anyone care to throw some numbers on the table as per pounds per say...a thousand square feet (10' x 100').

I would apreciate any input.

Thank you for your time. Dave In Florida

Reply to
D.Reid

Forget ammonium nitrate and buy a bag of urea which is 46-0-0 if you got a reccomenbzation as a result of a soil test in pounds per

1000 sq ft figure 2 lbs of urea will provide a pound of nitrogen.
Reply to
bamboo

Here's info from Florida's Cooperative Extension regarding fertilization

was taught to use a 10-10-10 or 16-16-16 for turf as everything needs to be balanced. When using just nitrogen, you'll be greening the turf and encouraging growth but not providing a balanced "diet". I've purchased a triple 10 or triple 16 for less than 10$ for a 10 lb bag.... so it definitely won't break the break. Some of the fertilizers are outrageously overpriced.

Reply to
Nicole

Check with your county agent and see how many pounds of nitrogen he recommends per acre for St Augustine grass. Three pounds of ammonium nitrate is about 1 pound of nitrogen.

I usually use something like cheap 15-5-10 fertilizer at about 1/2 the recommended application rate. I don't want to encourage the grass too much before the weather heats up for summer -- if there's a drought I don't want the grass to have outgrown its roots.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Does this mean you are now in the al kaida suspects database?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Dave (so nieve) in Florida

Reply to
D.Reid

Thank You to all for your input. You have been very helpful.

Thank you again, Dave In Florida

Reply to
D.Reid