Amonium Nitrate application rate (???)

Hello to all. I live in North Florida and have a 3 acre yard. A mixed variety of grasses from Floratam to burmuda to Bahaiha (sp).
I would like to green it up a bit without going broke and ammonium nitrate was recommended to me. Analysis is 34-0-0.
I located and bought some today but there was no application instructions on the bag. I ask the young man helping load it how much to use and he didnt know.
Regular fertilizer, say...10-10-10 goes on at about a pound per 100 square feet (10'x10') or 10 lbs. per 1000 square feet as I understand the label directions.
It seems a little bit of this stuff (amonium nitrate) goes a long way. Anyone care to throw some numbers on the table as per pounds per say...a thousand square feet (10' x 100').
I would apreciate any input.
Thank you for your time. Dave In Florida
Forget ammonium nitrate and buy a bag of urea which is 46-0-0 if you got a reccomenbzation as a result of a soil test in pounds per 1000 sq ft figure 2 lbs of urea will provide a pound of nitrogen.
Here's info from Florida's Cooperative Extension regarding fertilization http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/SS318
I was taught to use a 10-10-10 or 16-16-16 for turf as everything needs to be balanced. When using just nitrogen, you'll be greening the turf and encouraging growth but not providing a balanced "diet". I've purchased a triple 10 or triple 16 for less than 10$ for a 10 lb bag.... so it definitely won't break the break. Some of the fertilizers are outrageously overpriced.
Good luck Nicole

D.Reid wrote:

Check with your county agent and see how many pounds of nitrogen he recommends per acre for St Augustine grass. Three pounds of ammonium nitrate is about 1 pound of nitrogen.
I usually use something like cheap 15-5-10 fertilizer at about 1/2 the recommended application rate. I don't want to encourage the grass too much before the weather heats up for summer -- if there's a drought I don't want the grass to have outgrown its roots.
Bob

Does this mean you are now in the al kaida suspects database?
David
wrote in message news:213b0$444fedc7

in Florida

Thank You to all for your input. You have been very helpful.
Thank you again, Dave In Florida