Amaryllis Seeds???

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious:) I have some Amaryllis (actually called St. Joseph's Lily) that my Grandma gave me a couple of years ago. When I picked off the dead blooms, I noticed there are little white seeds (?) in the middle along the neck. Are they seeds? Can you plant seeds and they'll grow into bulbs? It got me to wondering, and I figured this is the best place to ask:)
Thanks for any info:)
Angie in the Boonies of East Texas
Gee whiz.
I would have though the best place to ask would have been an Amaryllis group.
Since the seeds of Hippeastrum are black flattened discs, wht you have must be something else.

Cereus-validus..... wrote:

I don't think there is a Amaryllis newsgroup listed at ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/CONFIG/active so if there is such a newsgroup it would be a rogue and not carried by all ISP's.

USDA Zone 8
junkyardcat wrote:

Amaryllis make round seed pods about 1.5 to 2" in diameter with 3 chambers and usually lots of black papery seeds, each maybe 3/4" across. You plant them as soon as the seed pod opens up. I don't remember how long it takes them to germinate. It takes several years for them to bloom from seeds.
It sounds like they are very immature seeds that you picked way too early.
Best regards, Bob
junkyardcat wrote:

The seeds you have may not be ripe.

USDA Zone 8
I'm not sure how long mine took to sprout, maybe one year possibly two years. I scattered the seeds/pods two years ago and last year. No attempt was made to bury or cover them. This year I have new amaryllis growing in the area. In one are where I tossed some excess mushroom compost, none sprouted. The new plants resemble droopy grass with two blades.
I'm in sunset zone 15, USDA hardiness zone 9b.
-matt
junkyardcat wrote:

BattMeals wrote:

I think mine took a couple of weeks to sprout.
Bob
It could be specks of left over pollen. My peace lillies do that.