Amaryillis and their leaf size

My amaryillis is out for the past month or so, and the leaves are only about 4 inches. I notice that the flower stem is popping its head out. We have had this plant for a number of years. It seems as if in the past the leaves have been larger before the flower stem pops out. Does the length of the leaves affect how successful the flowers will be? I thought that the leaves make energy for the bulb for next years flower rather than this years flower, and the less leaf the better. Any views on this? The weather in our area has been colder this winter than last year, although the plant is in a sunny window. We have always kept out house at around 58 degrees.
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com wrote:

Is this Amaryllis belladonna (common names: "naked lady", "belladonna lily")? Or is this from the genus Hippeastrum (common names: "amaryllis", "oxblood lily" (red varieties))? See my <http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_hippeastrum.html for thediffereces between the two.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/

I would say it is Genus Hippeastrum.
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@city-net.com wrote:

Hippeastrum is supposed to be evergreen, not going dormant in the winter. During a severe winter, however, Hippeastrum might become leafless. I have three potted Hippeastrum on my patio, all of which were hit hard by the record-breaking cold we had in January where I live. Not only did they all lose their leaves; for a while, I thought one or more was actually dead.
This morning, I checked my garden before breakfast. Two of the Hippeastrum now have a good growth of new leaves. The third has the start of new leaves, but it also has the start of a flower stalk almost as high as the leaves.
The interesting thing about Hippeastrum is that it might bloom at any time except winter. (It can also be forced to bloom in the winter if indoors.) Some of mine -- all the same variety -- bloom two or even three times between early spring and mid-fall. This is most likely to happen with those bulbs that remain in leaf through the winter.
Don't worry if the flower appears before there is a full growth of leaves. Just keep the bulb moist but not wet. Feed it lightly but frequently.
Do not force dormancy at the end of the growing season. If it goes dormant anyway, stop feeding; but still keep it somewhat moist because the roots will still be alive.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean