Aloe question

Hello, we're new to this group and have a question about Aloe. We have several large Aloe plants that have grown out of their pots. They have long stalks below the main group of petals/leaves. They are nearly 20 years old. Will they reroot if the long stalk is cut off, or should the long stalk be planted in the dirt when we replant them? The really long stalk, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet long makes it really hard to get them to fit in new loose dirt, they just want to fall over.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Ron /