Allium

I planted allium last fall and they are nicely blooming now. The only trouble is they look lonely in a spread-out grid. Will they spread by forming clumps? Or should I plant more in the coming fall?
they will spread by seed! I keep pulling up the young ones or they try to take over. these are ONIONS and they spread like crazy. Ingrid
wrote:

is they look lonely in a spread-out grid. Will they spread by forming clumps? Or should I plant more in the coming fall? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

some will and some won't. i have clumps of one variety (a darker purple almost burgundy color) that have divided in place but the seeds have not sprouted elsewhere in that garden.
i have another type (azure) which spreads by seeds along with dividing in place, but it isn't too bad as compared to what chives can do.
chives have been the more aggressive seed producers and spread quite easily.
that is why i asked what type of allium as there are so many (one latest catalogue had about 20 varieties and i'm sure there are plenty more).
songbird
I wish I had kept a record of what kind they are. Based on pictures in Brent and Becky's catalog, they might be allium moly "Jeanine". They are about ten inches tall, with yellow-flowered heads perhaps an inch and a half in width on the bigger ones.
Rob_in_Maryland wrote:

divide in place more than self-seed. put a good border around them if you want them to stay put.
we have a small patch of some similar plants (may not be that specific variety but they are a yellow- flowering moly) and i don't see them spreading by seeds that much. they do divide in place fairly well so if you want to keep them in place you need a good border. compared to chives they are a cake- walk... :)
songbird
Rob_in_Maryland wrote:
... ok, going back to your original post, you'll need to plant more if you spaced them very far apart. they'll take a few years to fill in.
songbird
On Monday, May 27, 2013 12:49:58 PM UTC-4, Rob_in_Maryland wrote:

is they look lonely in a spread-out grid. Will they spread by forming clumps? Or should I plant more in the coming fall?
Thanks for the help. I do like them anbd will plant more.