"Air pruning" roots

I've been reading about air-pruning potted plants roots to get bushier and more extensive root systems and avoiding encircling roots. Mostly it seems to be a for nursery trees, but looks like it would have application for starting garden seedlings. Does anybody know what I'm talking about, and have you tried it?

Here's one of the links:

might experiment late this winter with starting seeds in upside-down

3-ounce Dixie cups with a 3/4" hole cut in the bottom. The entire bottom of the "pot" is exposed to air that way, and a tray of them would rest on 1/4" hardware cloth. If it's a total failure, I'll still have time to start replacement seeds in conventional flats.

Watering might be a problem, doing this indoors instead of a greenhouse.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

talking about, and have you tried it?

Yes, for a few years now for bonsai and some hardier herbs . Great for developing trees,bushes and shrubs, usually plants longer term than seedlings going into a veggie garden. A version is often used as a Bonsai trick as well.

Recommend you try net post such as you would use in a pond garden and some hydro setups. Rounds and squares from 2" up, squares config best on benches and such. Lasts longer than Dixie cups, relative inexpensive, as well as are reusable. Added benefits differ from conventional pots because of air flows on side ( & a more open bottom).

Variations are only limited by your imagination, Some newer variations are coming out ( flip thru the pics on this one:

longer growing tubes). Pint size plastic berry containers work also if you have a large enough substrate to prevent your "soil" from falling out the holes. These are a 12 container shipping flat configuration. Certain of my trees in training are in the large plastic soda carriers (handles make them easy to carry) lined with fiberglass screen material.

Review your watering schedule as seasons change and yes...common sense should prevail when watering indoors.

Reply to
Gunner