Air Conditioner Fell on the Azalea!

Yup. SO was attempting to take out the bedroom A/C and dropped it out the window, right on top of my foundation planting rosebud azalea.
It broke off quite a few branches at the back of the plant, but seems to have missed the center, though there is some scratching of the bark.
Is it time to buy a new one, or will the plant be able to grow new branches with time?
--Jenny

I'd replace it and be sure to move the new plant away from your house a bit more. Don't destroy the damaged plant but place it in a nursery for added attention AKA care. Use the damaged plant for layering experiments a possibility.
Bill
--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208
Jenny wrote:

If less than 1/3 of the plant was damaged, it should recover okay. Of course it won't flower next spring on the side that was damaged, but if that was the back, that may not be a problem, either. It's going to be quite lop-sided for many years to come. You can reduce the number of years by pruning other sides (no more than 1/3 of the plant a year) each year to help balance it out. The best time to prune is right after the flowering is done. And the best tools to use are tools made for pruning, not air conditioners. ;)
On the other hand, if you want to use this event as an excuse to replace the plant, it sounds like as good of an excuse as any. ;)
--
Warren H.

I healthy plant will be able to come back quite well. You will loose some flowers the first year. Since the height was not reduced and only the back side which doesn't show was damaged, it isn't really a big deal.