Ailing Franklinia

I have a 35 year old Frankinia that has been slowly self pruning. We are currently down to a Y shape which I had hoped to avoid. This is the only tree we own that some folks call about sometimes to inquire on it's status. Some sort of registry? We love having a tree that blooms in august that also has some local lore attached to it. Franklinia was named for Ben franklin by his friend John Bartram. None exist in the wild ! Weird !!

Well yesterday I noticed a split forming between the two major branches. The main trunk is about 5 inch in diameter and the two branches about half of that. I was wondering about support. My Dad who knows a lot more than I said Drill it and put a rod with treads thru it. Use large washers and bolt it four times. Two on each branch,

Any thought on dealing with this issue?

Many Thanks!

Bill

William Wagner

Hmm, don't know if you are in it but there is some kind of census at:

don't know, do the people calling seem to know anything about how to keep it healthy? Or are they part of a tree organization which might?

You'll probably get differing opinions, and I'm certainly not enough of a tree expert to even say which opinions are right.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Thanks for the link ! I'll plant two this fall from Fairweather Gargens not that far away. Maybe 20 miles.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

I would have to see the patient to make recommendations. A cable and rod PROPERLY installed sounds like it might work. Where are you located? I would like to place a sample under the microscope. Anyway where are you? I am close to Bartram gardens. We do cabling and braces here. Maybe in the winter I will work on a web site on cabling and bracing. The biggest job with such work is where to place the cable and the brace. That's why I would have to see the patient to make recommendations. Sorry. It does sound like a good candidate for such a treatment, properly. Are you in the Phila area?

Reply to
symplastless

Also here are some additional suggestions.

Reply to
symplastless

Bill

I would be willing to take a look at it if you are in the area.

Reply to
symplastless

snipped-for-privacy@snip.net

I'm in Franklinville, NJ