advice on muching around a tree where there is grass

I planted three trees (2 Norwegian maples and 1 dwarf magnolia- Zone-5/6- Cincinnati's northern suburb -Ohio) The two maples are growing tall and the drop line is slowly expanding. The magnolia has grown also wider and taller. The original circle around the trunk where I mulched is too small compared to the drip line. I am told that I should expand the mulched circle area so that the trees can spread. There is grass all round. Now-I have lots of questions. Please feel free to comment

1) DO I EXPAND the MULCHED area? 2) Do I have to remove the grass before mulching? (I am told it is more harmful to remove grass since roots of the tree are also embedded with the grass roots) 3) Can I mow the grass to almost the lowest setting of the lawn mower and mulch? 4) Do I have to add any fertilizer before applying the mulch over the 'clipped' grass? Thanks for the help UM
Reply to
Uleetsa Moscowa

What has the area mulched got to do with the size of the tree or the drip line of a tree. The only need I know for mulch around a tree is to keep the grass back from the trunk so you are not harming the tree trunk with the mower. What am I missing??

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Don't need to. I have trees that are not mulched at all.

Don't need to, although some grass may grow up through the mulch. You can put down 4 -5 layers of newspaper then put the mulch on top of that. Best not to mound mulch next to the bark, as this can promote disease and bark-gnawing rodents.

Yes.

No.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes. The trees will be competing with the grass for water and nutrients if you don't.

Reply to
Travis M.

Well, there's also the root system. I have a couple of locusts, and the aboveground roots have extended beyond the original mulch ring.

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson