Advice needed on clematis Montana

Hello I'm very new to gardening. I have recently bought two Clematis Montana plants, I've put them in the ground about a week ago they Seem to be doing ok but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to keep it thriving and doing well. I live in east Yorkshire and a little worried about the winter ahead, I bought it from A well known retail shop. Is it a thirsty plant? Will it last through winter should I protect them I don't know much really :-) ty

Reply to
ZoeHart

mulch well to keep the roots cool during the hottest part of the summer and make sure to give it a deep watering once in a while when it is hot too (especially the first years it is growing).

i don't know that variety by name, but there are likely good references at a library that can be more specific about the type of care (some varieties do better when pruned in the fall instead of the spring).

here we have around six varieties and the winters are pretty cold (well below freezing) i'm not sure that Yorkshire gets nearly as cold as long so i'd guess you are fine.

other than that what i can think of general clematis care is to try to determine if your plants are susceptible to black spot and if so water from below trying to keep the leaves dry as much as possible (and keep other black spot prone plants away from them (roses, poppies...).

the deer, bunnies and voles all try to eat ours but most the time they come back and keep blooming. they don't seem to need much fertilizer. some are very strong growers and will cover a 8ft trellis with no trouble. make sure the trellises can support the weight of the plant and any expected winds or make sure it is anchored well.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Heres a very general rule for not only climbers but lots of shrubs as well, 'if it flowers AFTER the end of June- prune in the spring (as its flowering on the current years growth) If it flowers BEFORE the end of June- prune after flowering. There are of course exceptions eg. Hydrangeas but most spring flowering plants set and carry the flower buds over winter !

Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman

Thanks so much ! I'm not sure if it did flower though as it had no flowers when I bought it? :-)

Reply to
ZoeHart