acorns, acorns, acorns.. how to pickup/get rid of them

Hi, I have several oak and pine trees.. in and around my lawn (zone 5), and am getting tired of picking up the acorns. I got a toro hand-held blower/vacuum for the leaves.. but the lawn is a bit too big for it to be of help, and besides it doesn't help w/ the acorns.
What's up w/ oaks these past two years, I must have shovelled several (>10+) trash barrels filled w/ these .. and yet they keep coming down. Any suggestions?
ps. Is there a power sweeper or some such thing one can buy to pick these up - I don't have a riding lawn mower.. so am wondering if theres a machine that's push-behind that could possibly help.
Thanks in advance.
The deer usually get a lot of mine, and what the deer don't get my guinea fowl are eating. I never noticed them eating acorns before, but they seem to love them. I have thinne dout my squirrel population down to about "0" as far as grey squirrels go, but I do have quite a few nice large Fox squirrels which are not nearly as pesky and nuisance like a grey squirrel is.
Other than a rake with close tines, I can't say what would be the easiest way to get them up. There are manually pushed lawn sweepers, but how well they work or how hard it would be to push is anyones guess, however from what I have read on other forums regarding fall cleanup thesweepers do a good job and their only drawback is capacity and being a bit slower than a vaccum type cart. I use a chipper/shredder/vaccum trailer behind a L & G tractor which sucks everything up and makes a nice fine mulch out of it all.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:45:58 -0500, Sundar Narasimhan

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address
Pigs are supposed to love acorns. If anyone in your neighborhood has a pet potbellied pig, maybe you could borrow it for a few days... zemedelec
A thousand Gerbils will dojustice on them too, they love acorns and other nuts in shells.
Zemedelec wrote:

I have a similar problem with acorns, not so bad this year, but last year the amount of acorns was just unbelievable.
There are pecan pickers that should make short work of your acorn problem.
Try:
www.rozells.com/html/pecan_pickers.html
www.leblanspecancompany.com/item62.html
There are others.
do a google search for pecan pickers
Shepherd

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:45:58 -0500, Sundar Narasimhan

Yep. Quite a nuisance in large quantities. A small-tined rake, as another poster suggested, seems to be appropriate, although I gather you have a considerable quantity to dispose of. And no squirrels? I wonder...if you raked some into a pile, would they stay or be carried away?
You might see if you could invite some people interested in crafts over to take their fill. They are much-used in autumn wreathes and arrangements. Pine cones, too.
Sell on eBay to the acorn-deprived:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#59063805&category097

You really can sell anything on ebay. Here's a dutch auction that ended a few weeks ago:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#56926900&categoryB215
Somebody paid $3.49 for a dandelion or two's worth of seed.

Wow - we could all be RICH!!
Thanks for all the suggestions. Last year the deer took care of some of them, but I think I have so many buckets that I think the few that come by can't really eat them all.
We did have squirrels and chipmunks, but ever since my wife started letting the cats out.. they stay a safe distance away chittering.
ebay! Wow, what an idea.. :)
Frogleg wrote:

Sundar Narasimhan wrote:

Start keeping the cats in and the wildlife will return and take care of the acorns.

--

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky