Aconite - Snow Drops didn't come up

I planted some Aconite bulbs last September and nothing has come up yet here in central PA. The crocuses have been up for 10 days or so already, and I thought there would at least be some green tips showing from the Aconite.

The bulbs were purchased in late August and given to me. They were a commercial product in a bag, but I'm wondering if they were old stock. The bulbs were somewhat wrinkled like large hard raisins, unlike the smooth bulbs of a crocus or daffodil.. Is that how Aconite bulbs are supposed to look or were they dried out and left over stock from the previous season?

It wasn't convenient to dig a trench around the tree where they were planted, so I pounded a bar slightly larger than the bulbs into the soil to make each hole, dropped each bulb in its hole and then poured water down / over the holes to seal them / loosen the soil, then covered the holes back up with mulch. This method has worked for me in the past with daffodils and crocuses, so I assumed it would work with the Snowdrops. They were planted about 2-3" deep.

I doubt that squirrels got them, since we don't have any bold enough to venture to the front yard (it's a long way from their natural habitat over open ground) and the mulch wasn't disturbed.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL