Acer palmatum problems - any advice?

Hi,
I have an Acer that has been living in my garden for at least 25 years Iím very sorry to say that I think that itís dying. The fine branche have turned white and very dry to the touch. When I cut the branche off, I find that they are brittle and they break and crumble ver easy.
Last summer like all other summers, it was thriving. Towards the bac end of the year, some chicken manure pellets was scattered on the soi near the Acer, but Iím not sure if this is responsible for its poo health.
Best wishes Stephe
-- trident
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
I am not surprised that your tree is diseased. of all the maples, acer is the most prone. it is also the fastest to decay. what you described is probably a fungus that affects the stems. if you want to try to save the tree, start pruning. start at the tips of the major limbs and work your way down til you see healthy wood. then treat the tree and the area with a good copper fungicide. not much hope.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ