Acer Advice Needed

Hi,
I have 6 different Acer trees planted in my garden and I am movin house next year, probably around May or June. I would like to take th Acers with me. I have been told to wait until the leaves drop off thi Autumn before digging them up and potting them. Is this advice correct or should I leave it until early spring?
Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers acer1
-- acer13
How big are they? Just call them maples, you sound rediculous. What specific species? What area are you in?
Toad, who is starting to sound like cerioid more and more latley.
No, Cerioid would insist on calling them by their scientific name, that is the only way you can be sure what you're talking about. Just saying maple you'd have to ask, is it the tree or the showy tropical plant, or something else.