AArgh... neighbors

Likewise, Bill. I am about to contract to have a tree removed for the first time in my life. It is a 100 foot white pine surrounded by wires and obstacles. It will cost me more than a grand.
All because I want to give the renegade sycamore that sprouted nearby some room to do it's thing.
John
John Bachman wrote: [...] I am about to contract to have a tree removed for the

Ouch!
Who gets the wood? If done right, there will be sawlogs available form that tree.

Now that's balancing one tree's need against another tree's desire... :-)
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:24:41 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir

Oh, yeah. There will be many board that end up framing someone's house. That is part of the deal with cutter downer who happens to be a neighbor in that business. He gets to sell the logs to the sawmill.

that baby is already 15 feet tall after only 5 or 6 years. I won't miss the pine pollen every June either.
John

Got a problem with building permits, too?

That's silly. Nobody should even have to pick up the phone and call a lawyer to retrieve their $250 or $500 deductible. There's a simpler way, and it already exists. Make the permit a legal contract. The local judge can introduce you to jail food if you mouth off and refuse to pay. This sort of thing happens with a fair amount of regularity, right in the same courtroom as traffic tickets.

Your local building inspectors probably sit on their tails for a few hours a week. Let them do it. You're already paying them.

John Bachman wrote:

What you really can't afford is the effects of stupidity on you.

Yeah, yeah, taxes is bad, but if some private outfit charges you "fees" for the same service, it's good.
I've _never_ understood that logic. The only thing I care about is how much I get for my money. Private bureaucracies (a.k.a "corporations") are at least as inefficient as public ones, and there's the added disdavantage that we don't get a chance to throw the rascals out every four years. And private bureaucracies want me to pay extra ("profits") just so some bozos can get some unearned income ("dividends") - now that's a real good use of my cash!

Here are two more reasons for some control over removal of trees.
One of my neighbors is completely nature-phobic. Anything that moves or isn't produced in a factory is a threat. She had her entire SLOPING back yard clear cut and then didn't plant anything for 8 years. Periodically she would have the boyfriend/husband spray the slope with Round-up. Sure, it was her yard and I guess I didn't HAVE to look at it. The real problem came with the erosion caused by removing all the trees without a plan to remediate the erosion. Eventually a very large tree (too large for them to remove themselves) was undercut and fell, crashing into and breaking off two of my trees. Both trees were on the edge of a drainage ditch. Between the erosion from their property and the loss of the trees in my yard, the ditch evolved from a shallow canal to an 9 foot deep crevasse. Now other trees are being undercut and are about to fall, causing a downward spiral of events that threaten our property and theirs.
The other reason for regulating the removal of trees is that some people feel that cutting a tree down and leaving a big stump is fine. A number of our neighbors have cut trees down in their front yards, leaving large stumps sticking two to three feet out of the ground. It looks like hell. If you are going to remove a tree, don't start a job you can't finish.
Vox Humana wrote:

Better watch out. The people who don't want to defend their position that *they* should be allowed to cut down *their* trees whenever they want will accuse you of taking it to the extreme with this real life story that's repeated all too often in areas where people are allowed to do whatever they want to trees on land they own.
--
Warren H.

==========
Vox Humana wrote: [...]

I think you and/or the municpality have grounds for a lawsuit there - the grounds that have been washed away by the rain...
I doubt their insurance will cover the damage they've caused; so go after them. Bozos like that should not be allowed to thrive.
-> [whining mode] New neighbors next door- to the west. -> Their first week in they've cut down a *beautiful* 30 year old Black Olive -> tree that shaded my entire front garden- full of shade plants. Anthuriums, -> calatheas, ferns, teeny little gems that I had cherished for years in -> containers before putting them in the ground. -> That garden is only one year old- and now I am having to reorganize the -> whole darn thing. Plants are wilting faster than I can transplant them. -> -> And I thought our town had an ordinance against this sort of thing without a -> permit- guess that explains the city trucks I've seen stopping to take -> photos of the stump three times now. -> Would I be evil to hope they get fined? -> -> And I know about Black Olive maintenance issues- I have one. But had they -> bothered to live here a while before killing trees they'd have noticed that -> *we* always keep their walkways pressure cleaned- husband just can't seem to -> stop once he gets going. -> Not feeling too good about my new neighbors right now. [/whining mode]
Some people just hate trees. When I was a kid my step-father cut down a beautiful weeping willow tree in our backyard. Later, after I moved out, he cut down the tree in the front yard, too.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
Suzie-Q wrote:

I hope you didn't learn about choosing partners from your mother.

USDA Zone 8

Oh that sucks! Can't you put up some shade cloth in a diamond shape till you can transplant in the fall? Doing this now in Florida is not the ideal thing.
Victoria

Perhaps your new next door neighbor wanted to have a beautiful sun lit lawn with rose beds and other sun loving flowers as much as you wanted your shade garden.
Perhaps he had to have the tree cut down by order of the city due to the tree's root system damaging the sidewalks, street or sewer system.
Perhaps the tree was diseased and needed to be removed.
Or perhaps he just didn't like the tree!
Did you introduce yourself and let them know just how you felt about that tree?

Aren't neighbors grand! I had an elderly couple living next door for years. They took great care of the place, were friendly, and made an effort to do some gardening. They moved last July and some trashy woman moved in along with her nephew and son. They have three cars, a truck, and two motorcycles. Rather than shift the cars, they space them out in the driveway so they can weave around the vehicles when they need to go somewhere. The driveway is rather short, so they have to park across the sidewalk and one car is parked so the rear half of the car in the street.
Last year they cut the grass three times. This year they set the mower deck so low that it scalps the grass, presumably so they won't have to mow very often. On Mother's Day weekend, the woman bought a flat of petunias. She planted a couple of cell pack, distributed a few more around her beds, and left a half-full flat in the bed next to the garage. She hasn't touched the plants since, so now there are half-dead annuals, still in the cell packs, sprinkled around the yard. Unfortunately, she hasn't trimmed, edged, or weeded since she moved in and there are huge weeds and saplings growing all over. Two weeks ago she decided to clean-up a bit, but after a few minutes she abandoned the job leaving her tools and a black plastic drum liner in the yard next to a couple gallon nursery liners with dead plants she bought last fall but never planted. There are soda cans, cigarette butts, dog toys, and assorted lawn furniture strewn around the yard. One would think that between her fat ass and the two "study" bubbas and their illegitimate children they could manage to clean-up the place but they seldom leave the house, choosing to stay sealed inside with the AC running when the temperatures are in the 60s! When they do come outside they give us a cold glare or pretend we don't exist. I see some tall shrubs in my future!
Well, it's not always a neighbor. The backyard gardener show on PBS had a segment recently in a which a straight-line windstorm had upended an enormous 100 year old oak in the middle of summer. He had an entire shade garden under the tree, which was now exposed to the blazing sun of an Oklahoma summer. He was also concerned about transplanting, and ended up making some temporary shades with laths, shade cloth, etc. so that he could carry the plants through until cooler weather in the fall, when he could transplant them with more success.

presley wrote:

Do you mean "Gardening by the Yard"? It is on HGTV.

USDA Zone 8
Found a very interesting webpage regarding various "Green Laws" enacted around the US...
http://www.greenlaws.lsu.edu/greenlaws.html
And another note on my offending neighbor- since originally posting I have twice again seen trucks pull up and someone snap a photo of the remaining stump. Hmmmm...
--
Toni
South Florida USA

What type of trucks?
May have been private contractors there to make a bid on removing the tree trunk.
Toni wrote:

Looks like a lot of stuff taken out of context and so it is pretty worthless. Just MHO.

USDA Zone 8

when he's unruly. Here's a pic...
http://www.c700.com/promo/kakatoe/adestra132.jpg
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
Uh oh. Chemical boy is off his meds again.