AArgh... neighbors

Page 5 of 10

Try that sometime and let me know how it goes, OK?
Quite a few animal control employees don't know how to read the riot act to an irresponsible dog owner. So, they issue warnings instead of following the letter of the law. In many municipalities, the law says that the dog owner gets three "tickets" or whatever they're called, with steadily increasing fines, and then the dog is removed permanently. This process can often be completed within a week, if the animal control person cooperates. Instead, it can take months, even if the violation is occurring every night.
Good luck.

That's the system we have. What you seem to be advocating is lawlessness where people simply take things into their own hands. While due process can be tedious, it is better than anarchy.

Disturbing someone's sleep in just one step shy of child molesting. Talk about anarchy....

If you say so.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:24:26 GMT, "Vox Humana"

INNOCENT!!!!!
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

And the very best would be to have the dog owner's phone number and invite them to listen to the barkfest with you! If you can't dothat, then you'll have to roust them in person. Believe me, they'll dislike being disturbed by the barking moe than you. After a couple of times, the problem is usually history.
Suzy O
opined:

" It >is never the animal's fault. Never. It is always the fault of the people who leave animals out to bark incessantly" .

Maybe you aren't that well read, or don't have comprehension of four syllable words, but what does the term "incessantly" mean? Is that a word you'd use to describe a ten minute barking session? OR, would the word "incessantly" imply constantly, continual, ongoing, perpetually, never ending, non-stop? One word, thesaurus.

In this case, you know exactly what it means and what it does not. It does NOT mean that the dog is out there 24/7. It does mean that it's out there barking long enough to piss you off, often in the middle of the night, and that it happens pretty much every day. If new dog owner puts the dog out once and it barks, and the owner realizes "Hmmm....can't have that happening any more", that's a different story.

LOL. Oh, and Ray, while you're there...look up the meaning of "presume", before you misuse it again.
Janet.

Feel better...is there some rule where you first must disparage the person? Afraid that what you have to say can't stand on its own muster? You might be right......
Nonetheless in this thread Doug has already disagreed with your understanding of "incessantly" in his intended context. So one may readily assume your dictionary skills were inappropriately used here....Rod
10 minutes is way too much barking. Dogs usually bark for a reason. If it's something like another dog nearby or cat or noise, it's never 10 minutes. 10 minutes suggests a dog left out who has to bark that long to be let back in. Not a sign of a good pet owner.
Suzy O

well, that explains why you're barking... properly trained & sociallized dogs *don't* "just bark". a properly trained & sociallized dog may give a warning bark if a strange person enters the yard. it does not yap endlessly for 10 minutes or 10 hours. any owner who allows thier dog to do so should not be allowed to keep an animal until they learn how to properly train & sociallize said animal. that's pretty simple & generally doesn't require a great deal of work or even intelligence on the part of the owner.

no, the president barks excessively :) lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

expounded:

How would you have felt if you needed to sell your house while the neighbors had a virtual junkyard? I don't mean WANT to sell, but NEED to sell. What if, due to the trashy neighbors, you found that there were few people interested in looking let alone making an offer? The offers you do get are low-balls. That is a situation where it does become your business because the junk reduces your property value or makes your house impossible to sell.

Well, obviously there are people out there who don't care - like me - who will buy a house because they like the house. I'd appreciate those kind of neighbors, that shows they'll keep their noses in their own business and not mind mine. I don't see it as a huge hinderance.

You are completely ignoring what I initially said - I did buy a house with a messy yard next door. The people who were selling this house NEEDED to sell it, and I bought it. And there were other offers on the very same house. So, I guess that shoots a few holes into your argument.
If you're so worried about other people's homes, then you belong in a nice managed neighborhood. Please stay there, and don't move next door to me, trying to tell me how to live my life. I promise I won't move next door to you and try to run yours.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I'm just pointing out that in a free market, when you reduce demand you also reduce the value. Reducing demand doesn't mean that there is no demand although it could, and the timing of the sale could be critical. Also, just because you can find an exception to a rule, it doesn't dismiss the concept. Every neighbor that sells, no matter how slovenly, has magically decided to clean-up their place. The door gets painted. The trim gets painted. Flowers are planted. The windows are washed. The yard is mowed and trimmed. Funny how people who don't give a damn for 5 years suddenly "get it" when they decide to sell. Do you suppose it is because it increases the value of their house or is it due to some unexplained compulsion to clean and paint?
As for moving next to you, it would be the last thing I would ever consider. I'm not worried about the homes of others. I just don't want inconsiderate slobs, people operating meth labs, or acid-rock band rehearsals in my neighborhood. I would be perfectly content if these things occurred in your neighborhood because even slobs and drug deals have to live somewhere. I suspect that you would be a hideous neighbor, bitching about everything bothered you. I would laugh if a pig farm moved next to you. Remember, you don't pay the mortgage or taxes so the stench would be none of your business. One man's stench is another's junk yard. Enjoy.

Meth labs. Inconsiderate slobs. Nice. You are another one who resorts to insults when you're losing your argument. I hope you learn to be more tolerant of those who have different views than you do. But I'm pretty sure you're incapable of it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
expounded:

That's rich coming from YOU.
<snippage>

Whoa, where do you get that she's a "hideous" neighbor"? "Even slobs and drug dealers have to live somewhere" -- WTF? Everything she's written here suggests exactly the opposite -- live and let live without getting in someone else's business. No offense, but from my perspective as someone just reading this thread, you have degenerated into histrionic flaming for no reason.

Stick around and you will understand. Sister Theresa, she ain't.