AArgh... neighbors

Page 4 of 10
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:58:12 GMT, Bourne Identity

Well at least 80% of the people that know me wish I'd take a dirt nap.
HTH
Krause loves Smithers _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

And I'm sure for reasonably just cause<g>....however most of us do not have you for a neighbor so push comes to shove we'd not wish to kill someone else on such trivial grounds....Rod

Inspect the header on the message you just responded to. You've been trolled by an impostor, young man.

How can you tell? I'm not playing, I really don't know.
Suzy O
I'd like to think folks would consider consequences beyond legal.
Who knows, tho. Have someone do the survey and let us know.
Suzy O

Yes. That's right. Dogs that are appropriately cared for don't constantly bark. Brining the barking dog inside the house will generally solve the problem. Dogs are both social and territorial. Dogs that are left outside get bored and bark, especially when they feel threatened or they hear other dogs barking. People who live in close proximity to others shouldn't keep their dogs outside, and when they do and barking becomes a problem, then it is the responsibility of the owner to find a solution.

And then there's the flip side - why the owners don't deserve to exist in polite society:
1) They KNOW full well that the barking is bothering people, but they make a clear choice to do nothing about it. That means there's intent, and this needs to be taken no further. Everyone will draw their own conclusions.
or:
2) They do NOT know it's a problem, which means they're too stupid to own a pet. So, it's the responsibility of SOMEONE to help them not own a pet. In a dream world, an animal control department takes care of this. In reality, they do NOT take care of it much of the time, for a host of reasons.

then
keep
I don't disagree with you on this point. In fact, it was my intention to place the blame on the owner, not the dog. People who don't want to take care of their pets shouldn't be pet owners. Owning a companion animal involves more than supplying food and shelter. Dogs require social interaction and discipline. They shouldn't be left alone to bark for hours on end. Killing a barking dog doesn't seem to be a rational alternative. If your neighbor's car was loud, you wouldn't be permitted to destroy it.
Being a good neighbor is an obligation and involves some effort. I don't believe that money absolves people of all responsibilities or entitles them to be obnoxious. If you pay the mortgage and taxes, you have not fulfilled you obligation to society. That is an elitist attitude that implies that property owners have more rights than others. I agree that people can be stupid or aggressive, sometimes both. Killing a dog that barks because it isn't appropriately cared for ignores the true issue - the owners. A better solution would be a stiff fine and maybe a few nights in jail for repeat offenses. The dog should be removed from an abusive/neglectful home and placed for adoption at the owner's expense.

Oh DAMN! And I already went out and bought the explosives! :-) Are you sure I can't do it?

Well, it certainly solves the problem for a few nights, and sends a message. Fortunately for the dogs, most gun owners are careful and responsible, and know that they can only dream.

It's a rare judge that will do all that, although it's appropriate, especially the jail time.

so
fault
in
this
own
reality,
take
alternative.
it.
sure
message.
The only message that it sends is that owner isn't responsible. All he has to do is leave the dog unattended and let someone else take action. Dogs are a dime a dozen to some people. If you kill one, they can get another one "free to a good home" by tomorrow afternoon.
opined:

Most likely not. These "types" have this grand ability to ignore everything which is no consequence to them. Seeing dogs tied out to trees and whatever else literally breaks my heart.

This is more close to truth than not. For this reason, I sometimes wonder if animals aren't the ones who are more evolved.

There's a school of thought which says that while we think we're selectively hybridizing other species, it's actually we who are being "trained". Fascinating idea. Book: "The Botany of Desire"

Well on the Buddhist path to Enlightenment, then.

So where exactly are you atm? On a bypass machine, waiting for a transplant? Or communing from the Other Side?
Janet.

If a dog is a barker it should not be outside unattended.

USDA Zone 8

Gee....ya think? :-)

Well done.
.....and with a hopeful

You've been listening very closely to Mr President, I can tell

If you presume that, I shall deduce that you are a somewhat naive person who has probably never heard of Lilliput or Swift and wouldn't recognise irony if a large chunk of rusty metal crashed onto your nose.

Rod, you aren't equipped to pick anything deeper than your nostrils.
Janet

Since I was simply addressing a blanket and rather ignorant statement " It is never the animal's fault. Never. It is always the fault of the people who leave animals out to bark incessantly" .......The statement had no qualifier for time, duration or circumstance.....one could surmise a barking dog for 10 minutes as easily as 10 hours (both can be rather irritating)....as it is dogs bark...its what they do...and just because a dog barks the owner does not inherently deserve the subsequently proffered penalties. Now granted expecting any sort of reasoned discourse here may have been a bit optimistic.....nonetheless I thought it worthy to at least call attention to such sloppy thinking or even flawed values...besides I was bored.

Politics? I'm sure there is a connection here however obscure....Does the Presidents dog bark incessantly?

I don't think I'd actually put this newsgroup prose quite in the same category in either style or content....are you actually familiar with such writing? Incidentally in follow-up posts such values were again propagated so I'd seriously question such subtle irony as either intended nor achieved.....One may hope it was simply hyperbolic exaggeration.....or the writing tool of choice for the less gifted.

And your choice of such purposeless insult demonstrates your own intellectual prowess? Rod

I think assigning "fault" to a dog for barking is at best pointless. Under the right circumstances a dog will bark. If your only point is to place blame and not come to a resolution, then blaming a dog for baking would meet your goal. On the other hand, if you goal is to resolve the noise problem, then the only rational conclusion is to find fault with the owner for not managing the problem. A barking dog will seldom, if ever, take steps to make the neighborhood quite. The dog has other goals. Gun owner will quickly point out that guns don't kill people, people kill people. Blaming a gun for making noise or killing people is exactly the same as blaming a dog for barking. We could argue into eternity about whether guns kill people and not change the fact that tens of thousands of people are killed by guns each year, just as you could blame a dog for barking and not make things even a tiny bit quieter.

Please post the number for the telephone that rings closest to your bed. We'll wake YOU up at odd hours for a week or two and see if it changes your tune. :-)

not
killed
make
your
Why? You would be better off calling the police or your attorney to deal with noise problems rather than throw fule on the fire by duplicating the irresponsible behavior of the pet owner.