A victory of sorts

I've been warring with gophers. Today, I caught my first one in a trap. There's finess involved in placing the trap, and knowledge of how gophers do their tunnels. And those little traps would surely be nasty to get caught in accidentally. Will try it again on one in the front yard that has a big excavation underway under the creeping mulberry. I think the cooler weather has brought them out more.
They are cute little guys, but boy do they cause damage.
Steve
--
Keep an eye on them or lose them:

Amendment I
I have moles from time to time. I've used those mole smokers, and surprisingly they seem to work well. I don't know if it killed them or just drove them off, but the end result was no more moles. And yes, they can do some serious damage, especially when they push up in the middle of a young garden!

I though of poison pellets, but their burrows were too close to my well. One of them actually broke out in my head pipe housing and filled it with dirt. About that time I start thinking of dynamite....

I quit using the xylitol sweetened gum, as last time I put two in the tunnel, he brought them up and spit them on the surface without a tooth mark on them. Good thing the dogs didn't find them, as they are poisonous to dogs.
That is a big consideration to pets, as some farmers/ranchers have different attitudes towards pets than other people.
Steve