A simple prayer of safety

I want to offer just a simple prayer of safety and well being for anyone of our dear garden friends who live along the coastal area's and are now in imminent threat of Hurricane Ivan. Zhan lives in Pensacola. I hope she and sweet Bill are now long gone from their rental home and are safe in New Mexico where her brother has a place. I hope that David down "on the sandbar" who just lurks now is long fled, and anyone else who is in Louisiana, lower Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia.

My own two granddaughters who live in Destrahan, Louisiana (not too far from N'Awlins, and too close to Lake Ponchetraine) are hopefully long evacuated. I never hear from them now, but they're still my blood and grand children. Lets hope everyone stays safe and no harm comes to anyone. Plants and gardens can always be rebuilt and replanted. Mother Nature tends to change the gardens around as she sees fit anyway. A little mud and rain and some costal reconfigurations are always in her garden restructuring.

I listened to an interesting piece on NPR the other day of an interview of an older gentleman who had lived his whole life on Grand Isle in Louisiana. He won't be evacuating. He says he's rode out every major hurricane that has come along in the last 30+ years. His name is Ambrose Besson, and he was quite the character. If you're interested in hearing the piece on him, go to

and look under Braving Home: a Storm Rider on a Sinking Island.

We, here in Eastern Tennessee are facing effects from Ivan because of possibilties of stalling and flooding. We're looking at getting at least 6 inches of rain, possibly even more than a foot. And now there's another tropical storm behind this latest threat, and hurricane season won't be over until the end of October.....I pray that all of you are safe and well. madgardener up on the for now dry ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee.

Reply to
madgardener

I, too, am in eastern TN, about 35 miles north of Chattanooga. My son and his family, his in-laws, and his bro-in-law & family live in N'Awlins, and have evacuated to Dallas. I saw this morning where one of the Hiltons in N.O. allowed pets to accompany their evacuating owners, and I think the hotel deserves many kudos for doing so.

Just separated and moved some iris' yesterday, and what with all the rain we're having, and will continue to have for days, I hope the little iris' don't go floating down into my neighbors' yards. if they do, it's ok -- still have more to divide and move after it dries up.

Prayers to all of you, especially those who are suffering the torments of Charlie, Frances and now Ivan (and maybe Jeanne).

Reply to
Pat Jordan

Always wondered how people gauge the success of their prayers.

If you pray that the hurricane doesn't hit New Orleans and it directly hits several smaller towns and spares New Orleans, does that count as a success?

If you pray that the storm spare your home, but it completely destroys your neighbors, is that a success?

If you pray that the storm spare your kids, but it kills other children, is that a success?

Hmmmmm, and who is it you are directing this prayer to?

Zeus? Thor? Bible God? Bible God Junior Jesus?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I have an additional question. Why do people who live in mobile homes refuse to evacuate to a shelter when they know that a hurricane will hit their neighborhood in a few hours?

Reply to
Vox Humana

Cosmic Muffin..............I just wished a prayer for safety to everyone, hoping no one got hurt, or killed. I'm not starting up a discussion on what I do or do not believe in. I believe in the goodness of men, and in fairies sometimes. Can't I just wish a simple prayer of safety? geeze! madgardener who got over 8 inches of rain today and lives on top of a ridge (but Interstate 40 eastbound is closed from mile marker 451 into North Carolina at the #20 exit because all teh rain made the highway crumble and come apart)

Reply to
madgardener

Glad to hear you made it safely through all the wind and rain of Ivan.

Reply to
Marcy Hege

Maddie, I hope you fared well through the storm. Ivan came through here on Thursday night at the same time my mother in law passed away in a neighboring town. Unfortunately, I had to drive in that mess! Other than that, we are fine. I appreciated your prayer for safety! No matter what religion or belief, it was a nice thing to do (of course you are always nice!)

loony

Reply to
loonyhiker

Thanks Marcy! How's things with you? Long time no hear.............. maddie

Reply to
madgardener

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm going thru the gorge to volunteer for Spindale's fund raising in October during my vacation week and I'm now wondering how I will get there since I-40 is closed just past where I live. I guess I'll figure it out. They say it might be weeks or months before it's fixed...:( maddie

Reply to
madgardener