A Screening of Greening...

Hi,
I am looking for suggestions as to which type of plants would suit my need to create an obscuring screen of vegatation as quick and easy as possible. Let me explain:
I have a space on the second floor approx. 6' x 30' in between my apartment building and the house next door. Because the space is on the second floor, the height of the house is only about 7'above the space, so it doesn't block too much light depending on the angle of the sun, but is a factor to consider. The roof of the house is flat with gravel for drainage, so there isn't an issue of the shadow from a peak creeping across the area.
The exposure is southwest and receives a lot of daylight from early morning until late in the day. The only things blocking the light is the small balcony (4' x 8') about midway of the apartment above and the roof mentioned earlier.
The screening of greening is needed to reduce exposure from the sun into my bedroom almost all day. I have put up tinfoil on the window to reduce and reflect the light, but this becomes redundant when I open it to get some air. The window is rather large (4' x 6'), so I get a lot of light.
The solution I have come up with is to put up lattice and choose a plant or plants to grow on it. The question for me is what type(s) would be best? I would like to have something that grows quickly, that is low maintainance, and will grow a fruit or vegetable, if possible. The main priority is protection from the sun during the summer months.
Because the space is elevated, it is well travelled by squirls and racoons, so they are also to be considered when choosing plants. I have blood-and-bone meal and the dirt, I just need suggestions as to the plants.
As an aside, I figured that if I am to go to all the effort of setting up the space for the window screening, I might as well extend myself to putting in some other plants like herbs and spices. Any suggestions for low-maintainance/high-yield options that will work in my area.
I am going to the garden centre next week sometime to explore the selections, so any suggestions before then will be helpful.
I live in Ottawa, Ontario and don't know what "zone" I am in.
Thank you for the time spent reading this missive, and for any possible suggestions or solutions to my situation.
E. Graeme Smith -- Never argue with idiots, they only drag you down to their level then beat you with experience :)
fast growing, good coverage, brilliant red in fall, drops leaves, vermin proof Virginia creeper. I just love Virginia creeper. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/sit/sit.htm scroll to Late May 2004. I am letting it take over my little sitting area. second best is concord grapes. some animals will eat them, some not. but frankly the best grapes come from well pruned vines. OTOH, I grow mine in the "curtain" form which is a standard straight up, then arms out to the side and let the vines hang down from the arms. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (E. Graeme Smith) wrote:

Let me know if you want some. It is a noxious weed around here!.

That's what I was thinking, too--- Then I noted the 'killing trumpet vine' thread nearby, and remembered a thread on Wisteria in the not-to-distant past. I've been nursing a vine of each for years and have only been rewarded with a few Trumpet flowers.
Maybe if I spliced them onto that *&%#!!! Virginia Creeper. . . .
Jim

It's not that the VC is terribly hard to kill. It just pops up everywhere. Many people confuse it with poison ivy, so they let it go rather than remove it. The birds spread the seeds everywhere.

neighbor just planted some along border, on MY fence.. I suggested that it was not a good place for it and that it's a weed. he said he'd talk to his sister about it. I told them annuals might be ok. I don't want virginia creeper on my place and it doesn't stay put well!
I was hoping to plant some clematis along there, not going to now as long as there is a chance that they have a living weed on the fence, nope. Janice
yeah, I know.... I still love it. Ingrid

On 6 Jun 2004 18:11:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (E. Graeme Smith) wrote:

Pole beans of some sort come to mind. Scarlet runner beans and purple hyacinth beans are both fast-growing and edible. There are many vine-y weeds that grow very quickly, and if containerized, wouldn't be a garden nuisance.
A roof-garden sounds terrific. Here's a link you might enjoy:
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejager2/index.welcome.htm

snipped a whack of stuff..........

I typically look for plants hardy to zone 5. Environment Canada puts us at zone 5a.
That said, anytime I asked the question of the "pros" I only once received an honest answer..........
Q: What zone are we in? A: What side of the house do you mean?
Especially true this spring!!

Don't you mean "which zone", you Canucklehead?
Gee whiz Greame cheese, if there weren't any idiots in Canada the place would be deserted!!!

Kerb the jingoism buddy, your insecurity is showing...
This is a site for gardening, not a forum for your negativism.
E. Graeme Smith
"Cereus-validus" ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.net) writes:

Never argue with idiots, they only drag you down to their level then beat you with experience :)
What is your name?
I am Arthur, King of the Britains
What is your quest?
To seek the holy grail.
What is the leading influence of English spoken in Canada?
In Quebec or Ontario?
What? I don't know!
AAAAAARAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Damn Yanks

This is a garden group.
Please stick to the original script lest someone fart in your general direction.
Ni!

Fine then.
Bring me ...............a shrubbery
Ni!

Which nursery are you planning on going to? My first thought would be clematis, they fare quite well in large pots and you can plant a couple kinds to carry the blooms along longer. I'm west of Ottawa but really like Richmond nursery, Carleton Place nursery, Gemmill's near Smith Falls.
On Fathers' day, Kiwi Gardens near Perth has an awesome Art in the Garden thing, or at least I think they still do. This place is amazing, and deals only in perrenials. The gardens are really great, you can wander around each....shade gardens, rock gardens, the whole gammut and see how the different plants have matured.
Have fun!