A good tree for Texas?

I have 260 feet of fence line that I want to put a dense tree hedge or tight tree line. I know I can't get any evergreens because I want a 30 foot minimum tree height. So what would be a good tree and how far would I have to space them. Something that is fast growing and doesn't require a lot of water and turns pretty colors in the fall. I was thinking about Chinese Pistachio . Any other ideas?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Miller

Do a google search on "Austree" and see if that one satisfys your requirements..

It had a very very very fast growth rate, and is very bushy..

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

What part of Texas are you in? When I lived near Dallas, there wasn't a tree taller than me anywhere to be seen. And I'm short.

That's one major reason I ended up moving back north. Nowhere near enough green. (Except in the sky right before a tornado.)

--Jenny

Diabetes Info

Get Your Blood Sugar Under Control

Reply to
Jenny

Most quality trees would need to be fairly large (expensive) when planted. Fast growing often means easily broken by wind. There are some medium speed growing trees that might be worth considering, Shumard Oak will have nice foliage in the fall. Lacebark (Chinese) Elm has ok foligae depending on how slowly winter arrives(some call it semi-evergreen), has interesting looking bark, and can be selected/trained to have low branching or possibly multiple trunks . I dunno if there are 30 foot capable varietis of Crepe Myrtle (I've seen some that must be close to that height) but they can be 'hedge-like' and of course have blooms. Maybe Pond Cypress(doesn't need huge amounts of water ONCE ESTABLISHED). Although it is much maligned, the Russian Elm MAY be worth considering for your application. check out

for some ideas in addition to folks here.

I dunno. So far I like my Lacebark Elm. It's still small but growing quickly. I do have 2 huge Bald Cypress but they need wetter conditions than the Pond Cypress. They other stuff I've read about.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan