A flowery ravine

I live in suburban central New Jersey (USA). Just a block from my house, there's a footbridge which spans a ravine. Fifty years ago there were railroad tracks at the bottom of this ravine, but now there's just a muddy rut; the sides of the ravine have little on them but sparse weeds.

Earlier today I was walking this footbridge, and it occurred to me that I could make a beautiful gift to my community by seeding the ravine soil with some sort of colorful flower. I imagine walking over the bridge in midsummer and having the gentle scent of flowers envelop me. Meanwhile, a vibrant carpet unfolding on the ravine walls beneath.

I know next to nothing about flowers though. What would be a hardy, colorful, gently scented, perennial flower that grows well in central NJ soil, especially a relatively steep slope? (If nothing fits all these specifics, feel free to match just a couple of them!)

Thanks so much for your help! John in NJ

Reply to
Scanner Darkly

Sounds like the RR may have done something to the slopes to prevent things from growing hence "sparse weeds".

I have no idea what might grow there but there may be a "Native Plant Society" in your area.

Reply to
Travis

Buy 1/2 or full pound of wildflower seeds. Mix the seed in fine sand. I use 7 parts sand, 1 part seed. Walk around the area spread the mixture on exposed soil and tamp it down with your feet.

I've had good luck buying seed from this place.

have a Northeast mix for NJ but I have been told other mixtures can grow as well. This year I'm experimenting with 3 different regional mixtures here in Chicago.

BTW: You'll need to get this seed planted within the next few weeks.

Reply to
Mark Anderson