A few loonies me thinks

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the Plutocrats and the Kleptocrats. Still got wars. Still need jobs. Apparently we are going to get nuclear power, too, even if the free market won't touch it with a 20' pole.

That's what happens when the high for tomorrow is 19F and the morning temp will be 3F even if it does feel like -2F. Only one more month to spring, brother.

Did you know that some people grow peas for their tendrils? This is as embarrassing as grilled, red, bell peppers. I tell ya, there should be an operator's manuel given out at birth, pphhsss.

Reply to
Wildbilly

One last kick at nano technology:

Wildbilly

thanks for the info.

Reply to
Fabrice

They missed the morning temp...it was 0 at six AM. I'm seriously thinking row covers to get things warmed up. Have access to a bunch of old wooden screen and storm window frames (3ft x 6ft approx) and thinking of covering them with clear poly, hinging two together and making A-frame thingies to place over the raised beds. I tried the PVC hoop thing with poly cover one year, small scale, and it was a PITA.

Yep, I only found out about pea shoots last year and they are delicious. How's 'bout this 'un? Just read about the culinary delights of sweet potato leaves and vine tips when researching sweet tater culture. Fresh in salads and stirfried. New one to me.

Speaking of grilled veggies, last summer my sis-n-law brought a huge bunch of okra which I tossed in the overflow fridge and promply forgot about for a while. When I "found" it, I was grilling something, and decided to grill the whole mess of it, before it went bad. I tossed it with EVO and cajun seasoning and grilled it and all pronounced it most excellant. Never heard tell of that before either.

CHarlie, stomping life back into me frozen toes after filling finch feeders and peckerwood feeders and the waterer

Reply to
Charlie

You Olde FOX! ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

And I thought our birds were tough! I don't see too many birds, but every 2 - 3 days and the feeder is empty again (black sunflower seeds). It's enclosed and hangs by a thin metal rope (squirrels kept chewing through the previous string).

One of our peckerwoods (Northern Flicker) sounds exotic, otherwise we only got Steller Jays for "song birds".

how do you water birds when it is 0F outside?

I've spent the last 2 days inside avoiding the rain and enjoying our wood stove.

Reply to
Wildbilly

They gotta be tough this winter. During the worst storm in early Dec. I had ten sock feeders up with thistle seed and was filling them every two days, plus four hanging feeders and two platforms and four suet cages. I've cut back to four socks, two hanging feeders (with black sunflower), one platform and two suet cages. It's hard to estimate numbers of finches in a feeding frenzy, but three of us estimated around 150 goldfinches.

exotic) red bellied peckerwoods, hairy and downy peckerwoods, white breasted and red breasted nuthatchs and brown creepers... all of the above devour suet cakes like crazy. (so do the #%$&&@ starlings)

Tons of goldfinches and purple finches. A few cardinals and chickadees. One other guest we enjoy, but the other birds don't, is a sharp-shinned hawk that regularly snatches a meal around the feeders.

Hope the freeloaders hang around this summer and repay their debt with bugcatching.

I bought a 150 watt submersible heater and have it in a black two gallon rubbermaid pan sitting on top of the birdbath. Shuts off when water temp reaches thirty-five.

ahhhh....sounds cozy....I miss the "old days" with the woodstoves and a cat curled on yer lap...still have a nap kitty though.

Reply to
Charlie

Four and 20 black birds baked in a pie...comes to mind. Size 8 shot.

I use a horse water bucket heater. On at 35 and cheap as it doesn't carry the pond stigma price gouge. My pond open all this winter.

My gas fireplace is cool real cool as the thermocouple failed 2 weeks ago. My Back up. Got service sort of on the way with old man winter still about but my roof is almost clear. Gutters dripping and homemade chicken soup in the work which I may add a hint of egg drop soup idea.

Ok I'm Back only because of the zealots.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

One must be careful and bake well done on account of starlings carrying E. coli (and other pathogens), from their dabbling in cowshit. What herbs would you recommend with starling?

Sounds like mine... I think it was about thirty bucks...a cast aluminum donut with a short pigtail.

Now then....chicken soup sounds cozy, and I'm getting a sore throat, good medicine.

Which side? ;-)

Charlie.....winamp....Peter Buffett, "500 Nations: A Musical Journey", track #4 "Columbus: Unforgivable Sins"

Reply to
Charlie

Between.

Dharana 22:02 Between Dharana Rock AAC audio file 100

And the waters opened 11:04 Between And the waters opened AAC audio file 100 1 1/16/09 4:35 PM

Stuff to seek and open ones ears West German with India influence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Starlings seem to like bread crumbs. Not their fault they were introduced in the US.

Reply to
kate