650 ml Jim Beam bottles useless

Page 1 of 2
No, let me rephrase that. 650ml glass Jim Beam bottles and plastic crews caps and fn shite for bottling cider.
Water tight? pmsl, not likely.
Nah, chuck the bastards out for recycling. If you want it in glass, use the 750 ml beer bottles and the metal tops secured with a proper bottle capper.
Fkn screw top bottles and screw tops, as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Useless pile of shite.
Just my observation
rob
On 15/05/09 11:24, George.com wrote:

Hey Rob mate... what r u on about?
Here , in UK, Jim Beam bourbon comes in glass bottles with screw cap. No plastic.
When finished, just recycle da bottles and buy fresh supply!
Ed

yes, exactly the same with these bottles. The shitey plastic screw caps don't properly seal the reused glass bottles. A load of bollocks for bottling cider. As much use as a fart in a space suit. Useless pile of shite.
As said above, use the 750 ml beer bottles and the metal tops
rob
On 15/05/09 12:53, George.com wrote:

Rob,
I thought Jim Beam was bourbon, not beer? They now selling beer in nz?
Ed

bottling cider! not beer.
Jim Beam is bourbon, it is also crap. I much prefer scotch.
rob

Beam is worse than crap, IMO. I made a batch of baked beans several years ago that called for bourbon, so I cabbaged a ha'pint of Beam from a buddy who actually drank that shite.
We all had one bite and chucked the rest in the trash.
So, how's the bottling going today, old trout? hehehehehe
Charlie
"Charlie" wrote in message

waste not, want not. Don't you have dogs or cats?

sorted

no Rob, you *need* to use non-screw bottles & a capper. screw top any kind of bottle can't be used for bottling cider or beer. can't you buy a case or two of bottles, a capper & a pound of caps? if not, you're kinda wasting your time trying to brew anything... lee

As I have discovered. It is fortunate that I have several crates of proper bottles, not the shitey Jim Beam types, that will nicely hold 3/4 of a litre of nice tasty cider. I will nicely content with the recycle man throwing them in his truck on Monday, that'll teach the bastards to be piss poor cider recepticles. Not that I'm bitter or anything.
rob

by the way, I blame you Charlie, its all your fault!
rob

Oh hell, here we go again.......
By the way, do you have pear trees? Peary is very good stuff.......
Charlie
Charlie wrote in

or peach trees? mobby is also yummy & almost no one makes it anymore. Jefferson was fond of peaches & mobby. lee

Whoa Nelly! That sounds really, really good. A quick google showed no recipe, but I am assuming one would proceed as with cider? Any particular yeast, or one that you would be satisfied with for cider?
Oops, just found one searching for peach "cider.......
Peach Cider
5 U.S. Gallons
*
5 Gallons of Fresh Peach Juice *
3 Pounds of Alfalfa Honey *
3 Pounds of Light Brown Sugar *
1 Packet of Liquid Champagne Yeast
Should be really easy to press juice from peaches and should be lots of it.
Oh hell, now I'm wondering about apricots? That would be superb!! (go for it, rob, I hope it drives you nucking futz)
Thankee, thankee, thankee Charlie
Charlie wrote in wrote:>>or peach trees? mobby is also yummy & almost no one makes it

pretty much... the recipe you found looks about right.

yup.

apricots are a bit drier than peaches, but it should work. might want a lighter honey. are we being mean to rob?

no problem. it is my firm belief that mobby should be better known ;) lee

Gotcha.....entered in the notebook

I friggin' hope so... cheeky bastid needs a bit of slappin' about, doncha know...all the abuse I've suffered at his hands! You're likely to be getting blame slung your way now. (We know he really really wants to jump on this mobby thing, likely the peary also)

And I shall do my best to spread the taste, er, word, this fall!!
Charlie
t.au:

hey Billy, any ideas about distilling 6% vinegar to around 20%? i need to deal with some poison ivy... i know the 20% works, but i can't find any to buy. lee

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation
--

- Billy
In article

Edmund was a place I used to visit for glassware etc. Want some SPG stuff they got it. They are 30 miles from my house.
<http://www.edsci.com/
So a one litter flask, variac, distilation apparatus with cut off etc etc . May be pricey.
Bill who wonders if you can just boil off the BUT GUESS'S the product we want goes off first
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

It's a pot still. You are only limited by the size of the boiling flask. Speaking of which, it is good to have boiling chips (little glass beads that go in the flask to insure an orderly bubbling and not one giant bubble which would, could, be threatening). You increase the heat until the thermometer is reading the boiling temp of what you are looking for. I believe you would be looking for 78.2 C.
--

- Billy

Remember to eyeball and sniff the bottles for cleanliness. If there is any crud in them be sure to wash them out. If (or when) they are clean, soak in chlorinated water (you can smell the chlorine or 65ml/5 gal. bucket [re: 19L]) for twenty minutes (for any junkies out there, this works on needles too, 'cept to keep it simple, just soak in straight bleach for the twenty minutes, then rinse with sterile water [D.I. water]and the needle is sterile. I'm not advocating I just don't want anyone to get sick.). Rinse with clean tap water (remove any screens on faucets). Use bottles as soon as you like.
--

- Billy