60ft Laurel Trees

I have moved into a house in France and on one side of the garden are what I think are Californian Laurel. They have been allowed to grow wild and some reach 60ft. Whilst I want to retain the Laurel as a wind break they must be cut down as some are interfering with both Telephone and Mains Cables.
Not being experianced with these trees I wonder if any of the forum would be kind enough to advise the best way to approach this problem.
Also can Laurel be trained into a layered hedge by half cutting and bending the stems semi horizontal.
MAny thanks in advance
--
reguiny

On Apr 28, 1:27pm, reguiny < snipped-for-privacy@googleREMOVEmail.com no spaces> wrote:

madgardener up in upper northeastern part of Tennessee near the foot of the Cherokee National Forest and along the Appalachians in gardening zone 7a, Sunset zone 36