Subject Author Posted Replies

Organic Gardening (The Real Deal)
Now if you'll all open your hymnals to page 126 ""Grass," so understood, is the foundation of the intricate food chain (Joel) Salatin ( a self described "Christian-conservative-libertarian...

Smart planting, smart spraying keep hungry deer at bay
You carefully planted those trees and shrubs. You fed them, watered them, watched them grow, slowly but surely. Then one morning, they didn't look right. When you got closer, you saw why. Uninvited...

Raised soil around poplar tree.
"Bob F" wrote in news:huqdnT_xduvsfcPbnZ2dnUVZ No, you're worrying correctly.
4
4

Azalea Question
I have a small dwarf azalea. It's been established about 3 years. The long, late freeze we had really took a toll on it. No blossoms, leaves all died and fell off. Well, it's coming back pretty...
3
3

Help identifying a vine/weed, and advice to get rid of it
I have this weed growing all around the fence, and into the yard at my house. It grows along the ground, up the fence, up trees, and tangles up the lawn mower blade. When I started pulling it up, it...
7
7

Not a gardener, but encountered an interesting soil dweller
Hello all, I'm not a "gardener" in the passionate sense, but I do work in my back yard out of necessity. I live in Portland, Oregon, to give you an idea of the climate and latitude. I was yesterday...
7
7

Need help identifying herbs
Last year everything was late. It was my first year growing mostly from seed and the rain kept me out of the garden until May. I thought that these herbs had died but they came back this year. I don't...
29
29

California gardening?
Just out of curiosity, what small towns in California might be recommended for (1) good place to retire: (2) good place to garden. I'm currently living in a tornado alley and it doesn't seem to me to...
27
27

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Cedar-Apple Rust
This strange looking jelly fungus growing on a Cedar tree is the bane of apple growers. js
1
1

Landscaping Your Yard for Birds
The birds help greatly with some insects. Thanks for posting this and reminding us. Last summer we watched a cardinal workin' like crazy in the cherry tomatoes. He spent aver an hour frantically...
4
4

Sambucus nigra 'Eva'
Ann, you really had a problem with this? It is not just acting like a buddleia and taking it's sweet time? Dang, dang and dang, I don't have a good climate for the thread leaf maples and I so want...
2
2

Compost
I have gardened on and off for a number of years, but have really jumped into veggies and landscaping since I got a place in the boonies eight years ago. I don't seem to have too many problems with...
13
13

John Deere 318 with a Tilt-Dump Bagger - What's it worth?
I'm looking at a 318 with a Tilt-Dump Bagger. The tractor, mower deck, and bagger are all in good functional condition. The tractor is well maintained, but unrestored. What should I expect to pay? The...
3
3

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative
Full article at: for Biofuels Drives World Food Prices Higher http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/27/1485/Battle
127
127

Heads Up... Gardening E-Books, PDF Files
Subject Header starts with... Gardening - 'Tis That Time Of Year posted 5/25 by propman. Looks like mostly PDF files and it appears there is some really good information. The ones I checked werePublic...