Subject Author Posted Replies

What happened to my pomegranate tree?
Greetings all! Last week I went to my local nursery and bought a 3-ft tall pomegranate tree in a 5-gallon pot. I also bought potting soil and consulted with the nursery manager about planting. Later...

Fish fertilizer - lost directions
Yo, gardeners - I went to use a jug of Atlas Fish Fertilizer that had been sitting around, and found the directions for application had faded beyond legibility. Am concerned about over- or...
5
5

Green Pond
My backyard pond is failry new (this spring) and the water is always green. I've tried the chemicals, cleaned the filter and added lillies and other vegetation to block out the sun. Nothing works! The...
13
13

Land in South Manchester
I work for a company providing a therapeutic horticulture service in south manchester. We are looking to rent around 0.5-1a, preferably with glasshouse and or indoor areas already on site. Has anybody...
2
2

Anyone tried "No Mow" or "Eco-Lawn" grass seed, for low maintenance lawn?
I'm not good about watering my lawn during the dry months here in Minnesota, so every July parts of my lawn die, I overseed again in the fall, and it does the same thing the next summer. I've been...

peppers
Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for peppers? Not doing to good with just manure this year. Growth is stunted like. I've had lots of blossoms, but only 2 peppers. They...
17
17

The no-sweat warm weather landscape
With July almost here and the dog days just ahead, there's a temptation to stay inside with the air-conditioning rather than go outside and sizzle in the sunshine. But your plants are like needy kids,...

Help ID'ing plant/tree
A garden I drive past regularly has this great looking plant in it. I can't seem to drive by when there is anyone out in the yard and I'm too shy to actually knock on their door to ask what it is, so...
5
5

coyotes disappearing?
I haven't heard any coyotes since sometime in midwinter here in southwestern New Mexico. Other people are remarking on this too, so I don't think it's usual; does anybody have a plausible explanation?...
9
9

fertilome brush and stump killer
How safe is this stuff to use around established trees. The scenario... jasmine ground cover and holly removed for a new bed, the area is surrounded by large old oaks. The landscape people want to use...
5
5

Okra
My old timer gardening buddy says when one cuts the okra from the plant to also cut the accompanying leaf...He had no clear reason, but said "that's what you do"... Any merit to that practice? Thanks....
7
7

Norwegians Anticipate No Future Problems With Gardening.....Yeah, Right.
Just a suggestion. Start your own seed vault. Save seeds. Select only non-hybrids of course. Don't depend on seed merchants and nurseries. A severe economic downturn could trigger lessened...

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Bullfrog vs Catfish
Our pond is primarily a frog pond and for ten years we put nothing into it big enough to eat even tadpoles. The only fish allowed were minnows to control mosquitoes. A few years ago we decided that...
7
7

favorite plants
Anybody have a favorite indoor/house plant? Mine was my cacti garden, until wyatt (my 2yr old) and the cacti got into a tug a war. Got to find a new house plant now................wyatt had some...
9
9

Teaming with Microbes
This is most of the first chapter. Please offer critics. Right now, this book (Teaming with Microbes) and "Omnivore's Dilemma" seem to give the clearest sense of the direction that gardening and...
14
14