Subject Author Posted Replies

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mulch Magic
Marilyn was reading some off-the-wall hype about how red plastic mulch under tomatoes will make them grow better and faster. I, of course, dismissed it as nonsense. js
6
6

Cutting Sunflowers
Bought a two annual type sunflower plants at a local garden shop. They are 10" -12" in height. The top flowers have blossomed and now have shriveled up. My sister spoke with someone who knew about...
4
4

Do i let Santa Rosa plums ripen on tree?
I have a nice crop of Santa Rosa plums due to the rare cold snap last winter in Southern Calif. Should i allow them to ripen on the tree or pick them and let them sweeten up in the house?They are a...
3
3

Lantana blackened leaves
Can someone please help. I've only recently discovered lantana and just love how it brings so many butterflies and hummingbirds around. For the first time I've purchased a lantana plant already potted...
3
3

Aussie tree cuttings
Hello. I live on a ranch in an area of northern Idaho mountains and we get winters with heavy snow and temperature that can drop to the MINUS teens. I think we are zone 4. My question concerns some...
3
3

Leanin' on the garden's fence
Mazel Tov! Ahhhh....... it's nice to return to ground, both literally and figuratively. Neuester Enkel ist ein Wunder. das Leben ist ein Wunder Schnittbohnen?? Nice parallel......ouch We are about a...
27
27

Elephant's Eye
The corn in Central Ohio is as high as an elephant's eye, today. I've never seen that before. Usually it's around the 20th. The 4th is Oklahoma. There's even a moderate drought this year. It must be...

Grow Your Own...
But who cares, or can stop the juggernaut. Happy Independence Day......anyone remember what it was about? Charlie "Nearly three quarters of all processed foods contain genetically engineered...
1
1

Finally! The Grand Poobah....
Set the trap at around 10:00AM this morning in the garden and by 4:00PM it was "bagged". A rude awakening for this groundhog (aka woodchuck). Let it go by a river a few miles away.
1
1

Corn shading cucumber
Sigh - I think I'm hoist on my own petard. I planted cucumbers and corn together, thinking that the cucumbers would twine around the corn stalks as they grew. Instead -- and maybe because I planted...
11
11

Brown thumb needs help on planting apricot seeds.
We have an established apricot tree and greenhouse in the Bay Area. So is it possible to take the exiting seeds and grow more trees with apricot fruits?
8
8

Motion-activated deer repellants
I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in...
11
11

Treat ailing tree to a "fertilizer stake dinner"
Trees add so much to your landscape. Apart from the aesthetic appeal of their beauty, they provide cooling shade for your home and garden. A mature leafy tree can produce as much oxygen in a season as...
11
11

Help: Best lawn sprinkler for city life?
If you have experience with different types of lawn/garden sprinklers, please help a newbie here! Which is the best lawn sprinkler for city life? We have a normal Chicago backyard with a walkway in...
18
18

deer salad
Just an FYI to all who grow radishes. Beware. Deer love the tops. They've pulled most of my nice fat radishes up just trying to nip off the greens. I didn't expect this since radish tops are hairy but...
1
1