Subject Author Posted Replies

Insect identification: "jumping eggs" in the Sacramento Valley
A friend of mine has asked me to help her identify something she found in her garden this week. She noticed that the soil under one of her plants appeared to be moving. When she looked closer, she...
11
11

cucumber beetle infestation - what to do?
This year we have a moderate stripped and spotted cucumber beetle infestation. They are voracious, and devestate small plants, especially beans. I've used insecticidal soap, but it only kills the ones...
6
6

Support Your Local Farmer's Market......Whole Food Fight
What can I say.....Wal-mart, Horizon, Dean....now Whole Foods No surprises, I guess...mammon and all that, eh. Or maybe PT Barnum. Charlie --------------------------- Food Fight by Derrick Z. Jackson...
4
4

Azalea chlorotic
I have an azalea in a large pot on the E. side of the house (So. Calif coastal), that has turned chlorotic. I gave it iron twice, but has had no effect; leaves still have that tell-tale appearance....
14
14

Help With Fertilizing Japanese Maple In A Pot
I have four foot Seiryu in its second year in a five gallon clay pot in the Seattle area. It browned up in the sun, and so I have moved it to shade, with a board to protect the pot from the sun, and...
3
3

H E L P: My Composter is Full of Larvae!!!
H E L P ! ! ! When I opened the hatch on my above-ground compost tumbler the entire bottom of the thing was squirming and writhing with what I first took to be worms. But on closer inspection I...
18
18

Insect (wasp) eating my backyard
Recently , I have noticed that insects (wasps and/or bees) inviding my asian pear at my backyard -- - Holes/cuts on several fruits got holes or cuts on them. Is there anything I can do to minimize...
6
6

Blueberries: Mason-Dixon
Why are blueberries grown in the South bland while those grown in the North are tart and tasty? Different cultivars or different climate? I live in North Carolina but will not plant blueberries...
4
4

Languishing peppers
In my garden, I have some very happy eggplants right next to a bad of unhappy peppers. Same water, same soil, same fertilizer, sun, etc. Across the garden I have more peppers. All of them are...
6
6

Planting daffodills
A couple weeks back I asked about planting groundcover in bad soil. So I've fixed it up and made some calls and spoke to my mother about plants. She suggested planting daffodils and creeping thyme,...
2
2

something living in wrapped up blueberry leaves
Hello all, I started a blueberry plant (bluecrop) in a large planter early this summer, its doing well, lots of new growth, but lately i've been noticing some of the leaves are wrapped up with a web...
3
3

Peaches
Well, my peach tree made a ton of peaches, all or most of which had worms in the center, and/or brown rot. The red admirals are drunk out there and I mean drunk and many thousands of them. Anyway, I...
30
30

What is this wild fruit?
The leaf looks like it's in the family of cherries, peaches, etc, but the double fruit and something about the way that the fruit looks--a bit streaky--isn't quite right. Can anyone tell me what it...
3
3

Epiphyllum
I am interesting about growing Epiphyllum. Any good advices or website I can learn from. Thanks /KN
1
1

pools - slightly off topic
hey y'all, dummy needs help again...........lol my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep. was wondering this:...
35
35