Subject Author Posted Replies

Moths in St Augistine Grass
I live in coastal Georgia and have recently noticed moths or some kind of bugs in the grass. When I cut grass yesterday lots of bugs would fly out of grass ahead of the mower. Grass is quite wet from...
7
7

Leaf Mold, Do Tell..
How do you break up your leaves for your leaf mold pile. Just wondering since fall is coming and I want to get a good pile started. I don't have a chipper or anything to break them up however, so I...
71
71

Crabapple setbacks
Last Autumn I bought two crab apple trees (Evereste and White Star which were potted and in full fruit. They were planted correctly in their supposedly favourite clay soil but this year the Evereste...
5
5

ginkgo fruit
I'm interested in planting a female ginkgo tree. Does it still make the stinky fruit if it's not pollinated? There aren't any ginkgo trees close by. Although there are probably some within a few...
4
4

Collecting lawn debris
All, What kind of tool do you use to get all of the organic debris out of your yard? A rake would take forever, I'm hoping there's some other option. Our garbage people do take lawn waste, but I have...
25
25

How much triple super phosphate should i apply around established fruit trees?
I have some triple super phosphate i want to use around my established fruit trees to help them harden off for the winter. There aren't any application rates mentioned on the bag so i don't know how...
8
8

Hot Here in NE USA
Just read a weather guy who wrote this hot dry spell may cause more damage than a hurricane. I look about my place and notice no color on treesĀ¹s just a sort of malaise. Been watering by hand on...
25
25

Rhododendren re - blooming
With the warm temps in the Northeast, (going to be 90 today in Pittsburgh) my rhododendren are again in bloom. Will this kill the spring blooms? Should I nip the blooms? Any ideas?
4
4

Cleaning up yard and getting ready for 2008
Hi, I just bought a house and want to get the back yard together. I hope someone here might have some guidance. I live in Bergen County, New Jersey. I think that is zone 6. My back yard is about 1/4...
6
6

What veggies can I grow in my home - and expect it to work?
While I'm not good with flowers (or most plants) I would like to grow some veggies in my home during the winter. I have a grow-lamp system on a timer for some sunny plants (not veggies) that are in a...
5
5

lawn winterize
To winterize or not to winterize lawn "Winterize your lawn", the big sign outside the garden store commanded. I've fed it, watered it, mowed it, raked it and watched a lot of it die away. Now I'm...
57
57

Is it a good time to plant spring bulbs in New jersey
Hello people, I have bought several spring blooming bulbs.( Hyacinths, Iris, Aliums.. ). I want to know if I can go ahead and plant them now or should I wait for few more weeks. I live in New jersey...
8
8

Why wash fertilizer off the grass?
If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on wet grass and do not wash it off the grass. But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of the grass....
19
19

What's The Substance On My Two Hybrid Elm Trees?
On the trunks is a dark gray, foul-smelling, fluffy or powdery, slightly damp substance that eventually ends up on the ground in a ring around the base of the tree. Same thing happened last October,...
3
3

Green house question
Hi All. Winter is coming and I am considering building a green house. I would like to pick the best material besides glass to use. I have trouble keeping glass in my house (kids), a green house stands...
8
8