Subject Author Posted Replies

Bees - some hive design concepts - your opinions will be greatly appreciated
Hi there, For those that haven't seen my previous post my name is Neil, I am Product Design student at Brighton University. It is very true that I know very little about beekeeping, nothin before 2...
3
3

spider mites on tomatoes
Does anyone have any suggestions how to safely kill mites on tomatoes in a greenhouse? I tried organics and they don't work. Hosing them doesn't work and Neem oil with a dab of soap doesn't work.
3
3

Mites on tomatoes
If you have a local infestation of Asian Ladybird beetles, just let a few into the green house. Ladybird beetles seems to love mites and aphids.
1
1

Broad beans - planting time?
I used to live in Devon. Obeying the locals I made sure my broad beans were planted on Boxing day. I have now moved to Margate, Kent. We are five mins walking distance from the sea so it can never get...

Plant ID Plz - 2 Kinds
Was inspired to search around for hanging basket plants from another post and wanted to get an ID on the following. in advance!...
15
15

Save a newbie from the insects!
Hi Guys, OK, let's start of by telling you what I (think I) know about gardens: 1. They need water 2. I like 'em colourful... 3. ...but colourful doesn't work for the lawn. Now that you know to use...
4
4

Seeds-Free And Postage Paid
I have several different kinds of flower and tomato seeds to share with anyone interested. E-mail me at and I'll send you a list of what I have available.

Planting Ivy on a second floor balcony!
I was trying to come up with a way to cover the ugly stucco balcony I've got and it occurred to me that covering it with ivy would be amazing. However I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the...
9
9

Compost Tea Question
I tried my hand at brewing some compost tea, but I think my pump was too weak. The tea smells terrible. It's been "brewing" for about two weeks now. I just added a new pump, but I'm wondering whether...
15
15

Creating a Footpath on the Cheap
I'm trying to design a footpath for a muddy long area with poor drainage. Path is about 100 ft long and four feet wide. During heavy rain it builds up a two inch lake of water. Could someone criticize...
13
13

fireglow vs bloodgood japanese maple
Hello list, What is the difference between the fireglow and bloodgood variety of japanese maples. I googled them, and some said both are very similar with fireglow being a much smaller and slower...
3
3

Bees - Colony Collapse Disorder
On tv tonight I saw a report about Colony Collapse Disorder in bee hives. Some apiarists put it down to a new pesticide. We haven't had this syndrome hit us in New Zealand though 3 odd years ago...

Grass growing though chicken wire covering bulbs, best way to deal with it?
I expanded my front flowering bed about two feet. I used my tiller, tilled through it once, then added compost and lots of old potting soil that had a lot of peat in it (was out of peat), and tilled...
9
9

Tree encyclopedia
Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they could recommend? Thanks, Jackie
13
13

lawn help / suggestions
I was just wondering if anybody has ever used one of these water hose reels? I'm thinking about getting one just don't know if they are worth it, any help would really be great? OR if you can suggest...
5
5