Subject Author Posted Replies

grafting apples
my grandmother had a really wonderful crabapple at the back of her garden in western NY. she died last year & now my aunt is thinking of selling the house. i want to know if i can get grafts of that...
21
21

Moving rhubarb
Upstate NY, zone 6. I have a rhubarb plant which is too big for the spot where I planted it last year. This was obvious at the time I planted it, but what's new? Anyway, I'd like to move it, and maybe...
11
11

can anybody tell me what this plant is?
we saw this bush whilst on holiday in Benidorm - it has lots of tiny flowers in pink and yellow (around 1/2" in diameter). Does any body know what it is and if we will be able to buy it to grow in...
1
1

Can you help Identify this plant??
Hi - first post, please be kind! I have this growing in my garden + I'm not sure what it is; I thought it was a variety of snowdrop at first but now I'm not sure. It's just started to bloom and I have...
4
4

Chippers
Hey, does any one here have their own chipper? I'm wondering how practical they are. I don't have a real big yard but I have 4 big pine trees that seem to loose some limbs every winter from wind, ice,...
11
11

Please help with popcorn plants
Planted some popcorn a month ago and now the plants have 4-5 leaves. They are tall and weak - most of them have one leaf that has broken near the stem but is still alive - all those leaves have some...
17
17

interactive tour of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault
8.  The Global Crop Diversity Trust [pdf] the backdrop of climate change and staggering world population growth, many agronomists, scientists, and government leaders are concerned about both food...

Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break?
Plant a Garden, Get a Tax Break? By Roger Doiron, AlterNet. In recognition of planting season and the intersecting geopolitical crises now upon us, I am proposing that home growers finally catch a...
56
56

Gardening Worst Nightmare Scenario
Due to GM products escaping from South American trials Hummingbirds grew to 20 lbs. in weight. No big deal and you could hear them 5 miles away. Very beautiful and traveling at speeds we could hardly...
1
1

Cactus : identity and advice
in advance, I am a level below beginner when it comes to matters green. In the photo you will see "mummy" cacti which has many many babies growing. The second photo shows some of last years babies...

Dahlia Lavengro
I am looking for a place that sells the Dahlia variety "Lavengro". I found one souce but they require a large order and I dont need a large number of Dahlias. Can anyone suggest their favorite Dahlia...
1
1

The most beautiful hoya
Hoya lovers! In your opinion, what is 12 the most Beautiful plants? 6 Votes Hoya Caudata Hoya Guppyi Hoya Magnifica Hoya archiboldiana Hoya Praetorii Hoya Kentiana Hoya monogenesis Hoya Lauterbachii...
1
1

Help please - can I rescue this cactus ?
[image: cactus used to look entirely different a week ago. A lot chunkier and healthier. I've been noticing tiny flies around my house for some weeks (upstairs, downstairs). I figured it may be...
14
14

Potting Soil vs. Potting Mix
What is the difference between "Potting Soil" and "Potting Mix"? Also, if you were to make your own potting mix or potting soil what would it consist of? Thanks
7
7

Terra Pretta...Charcoal Use in Soil
After reading Bill's posts about Rodale's compost work with leonardite dust and the essay by Rebecca Lines-Kelly that mentioned terra pretta, I started looking into the use of charcoal, crushed or...
31
31