Subject Author Posted Replies

Earwigs indoors?
2

Truly soilless medium?
50 / 50 vermiculite / perlite mix, no soil, no peat, no compost. Excellent water handling characteristics, pH would remain dead stable. No pests, no disease. Feed with organic tea to replace the...
12
12

Hens & Chicks in stone wall
I have a large Hens & Chicks and I would like to move some of the small "Chicks" into cracks in a stone retaining wall. Can I just transplant cuttings directly, or do they need to be rooted first?...
1
1

Manual removal of unclean lawn edges and weeds?
Hi, I am a city person and never had a lawn. I have one now and the lawn edges around the house look unclean. My neighbor let me try his string cutter (with a battery and strings) but I had troubles...
3
3

Pond Guards
Hi there I read somewhere on gardenbanter that someone was looking at protecting their pond from children falling in, well i purchased a pond safety fence that simply clips together so as to make it...
3
3

FA Wild Flower Preservation botany mounting pressing 1932
Wild Flower Preservation ,A Collectors Guide by May Coley,this edition 1932, with 29 illustrations by Hilda M Coley,dustwrapper tatty,in fact in bits, otherwise book itself a good clean copy. 192...

sweet peas
Hi all, I'm new here so firstly want to say hello!! My OH and I brought a house with a teeny tiny garden last August and have been slowly working on it. Got some nice young plants in and haven't...
8
8

Hawthorn
With an 18" hawhorne if you're over 40 years old you probably don't need to worry about harvesting many leaves. And besides, hawthorne leaves are small and light, even from a mature 20" tall tree you...
13
13

Electric Mower
I've finally gone and done it. Reserving my riding mower for the larger expanse of my back yard, I'm replacing my old gas-powered semi-effectively self-propelled walk behind mower with a spanking new...
11
11

Mini tillers
OK, since my idea of buying a chipper has been smashed, I'll ask about a smaller investment: In recent years, I've been wanting one of those mini-tillers. This would not be my main tiller. I picked up...
10
10

To prune or am I too late....
Hi all, Rather a newbie here I'm afraid. Very interested in wildlife ( and now want to learn the gardening side of that. We had the chance to look over our garden today which has got great potential...
5
5

Clematis
I purchased a clematis at a nursery that was closing at the end of the fall season last year. I planted it in the fall and hoped for the best. Well, its leaves are beginning to sprout! I planted it...
4
4

What to do with siberian squll?
I was surprised a couple of days ago to see quite a lot of pretty blue flowers pop up right outside my side door (in the path of course). On investigation I found that they were Siberian Squill. Have...
7
7

Material that stops fruiting
Hi, What is the material that stops fruiting called? We have a beautiful weeping peach tree that flowers nicely but then produces a bountiful crop of inedible peaches. Even the squirrels do not eat...
1
1

Harding off advice
I generally start plants with bottom heat in trays for a few days. After emerging I take off the plastic top and place out in a bright spot for a few days bring in at night. Than I move the culled...
6
6