Subject Author Posted Replies

Banana Trees
I have 2 dwarf banana trees about 2' tall. Both of them put out new leaves like crazy. However after only a few days, the leaves crack, and turn brown/black. Consequently, I am not getting any...
12
12

My baby trees; and no fax here.
I appreciate your comments regarding my post. I have no fax availability here. We are no doubt going to be buying large trees for the back, and if the Catalpas and Willows grow big enough to plant...
5
5

Flower-Plant ID Needed, Please
This grew up in one of my pots. I do not know what it is. I did not plant it. Whatever it is, it found its way into and overwintered in the pot. It is rather cute and I am more than happy to nurture...
4
4

would like advice on garening and house plants
Hi everyone, I hope someone can giveme advice, I have recently moved and have a large garden that has not been looked after for over 8 years, I am totally new to gardening so I would like advice on...
1
1

Harvesting garlic
I plant garlic cloves between roses to deter pests. When the tops fall over, I harvest the garlic. They are always very small, measuring perhaps 1-1/2 to 2" at the widest. How do other people do with...
9
9

Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest
Hello, I have a yellowjacket next forming under one of the eves on my house. It's still small, so I'm looking for some recommendations to get rid of it. I put up a bee killer thing (those yellow...
12
12

Huge amount of overgrowth
Hi, My very large lawn has been neglected for years. Moved away, came back. So a very large portion of my lawn is covered in overgrowth. About 2 acres. As high as six feet. Its pathetic, I know. How...
2
2

Clematis montana hardiness
Has anyone been able to grow Clematis montana 'rubens' in Zone 5a or b? I never considered it here (Durham, NH with frequent 0-10 below nights), but I just noticed that Dirr rates it hardy to Zone 5....

Small Terracotta Pots
I'm looking to source about 60 small, 6cm or 7cm traditional round terracotta pots (not plastic). New or secondhand, I don't really mind. Does anyone know of any online retailers or garden centres,...

Rooting shrub? ? ?
I've tried several times to root a cutting from an osmanthus fragrens shrub -- sometimes called tea olive or sweet olive. I've even used Rootone, but so far I haven't gotten a cutting to root. Does...
2
2

Chanticleer Gardens
I live within a half hour drive of the world famous Longwood Gardens. Folks come from all over the world to see the grounds and the wonderful conservatory/greenhouse. But it wasn't until a couple of...
3
3

Garden corner - complete beginner
My front lawn has a small wooden surround in the corner, that is about 3 feet wide by 2 feet across. I am looking to plant something in it just to take the bare look off the lawn. The garden is very...
1
1

how to clone a thuja green giant
I see where the Thuja Green Giant is grown from cuttings. Has any one tried this? Can you take a cutting and grow a new one? Would appreciate any suggestions on the method if any one has had success....
1
1

arcobill
I am attemting to grow F1 cucumbers hydroponicly. I have beautiful 8-9 ft vertical vines, The vines are flowering profusly, but have about 95 % male flowers. I have been picking them off daily. Why is...