Subject Author Posted Replies

No-dig gardens
here's an article about a guy who doesnt dig his beds: In a time of drought, one gardener saves water with organic, 'no-dig' layering.
5
5

Corn husks
Do corn husks make good mulch? Chris
4
4

The Food, Climate, and Energy Crisis: From Panic to Organic
"Don?t panic, go organic". Sounds good to me. Ronnie might be reading Pollan, eh? :-) Charlie ---------------------------------------- Food, Climate, and Energy Crisis: From Panic to Organic by Ronnie...

How to prevent worms in apples
Here is yet another apple tree question. My old apple tree has a bazillion apples on it. Question: Exactly what do I do to it to keep worms from eating the apples? Every year, almost every apple has...
22
22

Runner Beans
Has anyone else been having trouble with runner beans this season? I've put three sowings in so far and got about 20 out of 200 germinated. They seem to be rotting in the ground after being attacked...
2
2

Natural gardner - the cat
My cat seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping the garden free of pests this year. Normally he's pretty oblivious and attacks things that I WANT in the yard - this year he's going after mice,...
3
3

Hoop green house covering
Could someone point me to a website that offer a covering thats easy to secure to the pvc hoop green house of to the base ? The green house raise garden base is 12' by 16'.
6
6

Two ? favorite garden mistakes I've made
Early on I went with a shotgun approach just purchasing one of various varieties to see what would do well here. Learned a lot and propagated the ones that made it. Nagging thought what if the demise...
1
1

compost pile questions
A couple questions about my compost piles (plural) if you will. How often do you water them? I've noticed that with all the heavy rain I've been getting lately that the clippings have composted rather...
16
16

Resource for OK wild flowers?
Does anyone have any links or know of any books on Wildflowers and grasses in Southeastern Oklahoma? I am trying to ID the plants I am using in cut flower arrangements and dry flower arrangements.
3
3

Ground Cover Suggestion for Mulch ??
Hello, I have a lot of mulch in my new garden. Is there a type of ground cover I can buy that will work even though I have a lot (2-inches) of mulch on me garden? In addition, is there a...
3
3

Drip Irrigation and Landscaping Fabric
Hi! I am going to be installing a drip irrigation system for my shrubs. Some sites say to install the lines above the mulch, while others say below it. I think I'm going to install it below the mulch...
4
4

you think you got problems with clay???
"After days of struggling with sticky Martian dirt, the Phoenix Mars Lander has unexpectedly succeeded in getting its first soil sample into an onboard laboratory for analysis, jubilant NASA...

Apple Tree questions
the branch is dead. a woodpecker is drilling in maybe for a nest? google for more you can cut the branch. But I stopped attacks (little woodpecker holes) on an old apple tree by using a brush to get...
20
20

unusual foxglove?
I saw hundreds like that in the forest like that today. never seen them like that before.
4
4