Subject Author Posted Replies

Plant your way to a private backyard haven
During spring and summer we all tend to spend more time enjoying the outdoors part of our home. A lazy lunch on the patio on Sunday, perhaps, or relaxing on the deck with a cool drink as the sun goes...

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Tortoise Beetle
This most curious insect was found chomping on an eggplant in the garden. It appears at first to be a large scale insect until it starts walking around or flies away. js -- PHOTO OF THE WEEK: Beer,...
1
1

heat, rediscovering old friends and some horticultural heartaches
Good afternoon friends, madgardener here (maddie) Just a quick visit over the back fence into your gardens. I hope this finds those of you who are trying to dry out in the Iowa and midwestern areas...

Peat
Is top soil plus some peat the same as peat-based compost? Its just that I'm building a terrarium and they say peat-based compost, but all the stuff they sell has added bits of vermiculite or other...
2
2

Where to buy green garden jars (for terrarium)?
Hello all, I've searched the internet high and low for large (12-19") round green glass jars that you see in terrarium books all the time. Anyone know who sells them?
11
11

NY Times has and article on SRI Rice
Shades of Michael Pollan ! :)) Bill ............................ The SYSTEM of RICE INTENSIFICATION known as SRI ­ also as le Systéme de Riziculture Intensive in French and la Sistema Intensivo de...

Please help me get a small cooling pad.
I am embarking myself in the project of making a small 6 square feet 3 to 4 feet tall greenhouse. I think I have most things figured out. I think. I am starting small so problems don't turn into...
1
1

Solarizing with cold frames
Anyone ever tried using cold frames for solarizing potting soil to kill pests such as fungus gnats? Seems simple enough, just pop the lid and toss in a bag of soil for a week or two.
3
3

Growing Chillies
Hi, i'm trying to grown 4 different types of chillies in my greenhouse. The plants are getting quite big now and have lots of flowers on them. When the flowers die and the chilly starts to show the...

Favourite Flower?
Some people like roses, some people like pansies. Some people even like petunias. Personally, I like Tim Flowers. [image: Photographs of footballers who have played in the World Cup, European...

CANADA: Best Gardening Magazine ??
Hi, I am only going to order one gardening magazine, which one is the best for Canadians? Thank you
2
2

germination and seedlings
I was wondering if anyone else had the same observation as I have. I use a soil that is specifically for germination (high sphagnum moss content I think) and it seems to do a good job of germination...
8
8

Shape of Rose of Sharon plant
I have a new Rose of Sharon plant. Will it developed into a tree-look plant or a bush (like a lilac)? Can I force to become a bush? Thanks
7
7

Need to trim 12 foot high arborvitea hedge
I submitted this to the wrong NG before I found this one. I have a tall arborvitae hedge (12 feet tall) that I trim using a ladder. I'd like to buy a trimmer on a pole and use that instead. I wonder...
1
1

Wild Sweet Peas
Firstly, can I say hi to everyone on the forum! I'm new so HI! I have what I think is a Wild Sweet Pea in my Garden. This is a lovely plant, that grows back every year. I would like to get more of...
1
1