Subject Author Posted Replies

What are you all starting from seed?
wrote in news:bBPml.207700$ is Love Lies Bleeding also an edible amaranth? my 8 year old son wants to put in a rather ambitious entry garden this spring summer (he's been digging an ornamental pond...
7
7

wanted: chive seeds
Anybody have some chive seeds they would be willing to trade? I'd like to start a batch in a planter. I've got loads of morning glory, plus some Ziegler's Heirloom lettuce that I could offer in trade....
11
11

Need Help w/ Post Hole Digging Clay Soil
I'm digging post holes in my yard for a fence and have come upon hard clay soil with tons of tree roots below. I cant get my shovel more that 2 inches deep. I have to finish my fence because i have...
6
6

Help with planting small, shady border
For the slugs, put a pie tin with an inch of beer into the ground just enough so they can slide into it. Or go out at night with a flashlight & salt shaker and sprinkle them generously. I have no...
4
4

Watering trees
What is the difference if I have a well around the tree which holds 10 gallons of water and then fill it up or soak the tree for 2 and a half hours with 4 gallons per hour emitters?
1
1

African Violet Plant Question ?
Hello, Re an African Violet plant I recently received as a gift. I realize it is primarily an indoor, house plant. Or, at least, around here, that's mainly how they are sold. But, is it possible to...
4
4

Saving rainwater
Here in So. Calif, we have had drought conditions for several years, so now that we are having some rain, am saving every drop of rainwater I can. I now have a large barrel full, and more may be on...
50
50

The Greenhouse Hamburger
The Greenhouse Hamburger February 2009 Scientific American Most of us are aware that our cars, our coal-generated electric power and even our cement factories adversely affect the environment. Until...
33
33

Kudzu a nasty weed Yet
Awhile back I read that Kudzu has properties that can help deal with over consumption of alcohol. Not seen any mention of this for a few years. Not recommending planting it as it is invasive to the...
1
1

Path Edging
I want to put a path down the centre of my allotment and contain it within a wooden framework. I am thinking of using long lengths of gravel boards, on either side of the path, that are 6" x 1" and...
9
9

Making cider at home
Any of yous tried making cider before? This weekend just gone I got about making up some cider. 3 days of work yielded 22 litres. An interesting experience but one I am going to have to stream line if...
38
38

Road Salt problem - suggestions needed....
I'd like to get a few thoughts and suggestions on a situation.... I live in a planned community... many of the side streets end in cul-de-sacs. We have a circle in the center of our cul-de-sac... the...
10
10

Encore Azalea help
Can anyone offer information or point me to a quality site offering information. on Encore Azaleas?? The Encore Azalea site reads like a late night info-mercial... all marketing hype with little or no...
2
2

Spring is coming
Hives of bees are in the orchards The early almond trees are in bloom. Red-shouldered hawks are calling loudly Their nests will be ready soon. Bees fly in holding patterns at the golden daffodils They...
2
2

Roses: the language of love lasts long after Valenti ne’s Day
Roses. Ask almost anyone what roses symbolize and they=92ll tell you, =93Love.=94 In February, our thoughts turn to love, thanks to St. Valentine, Cupid=92s little arrows and, of course, roses. If...